“Not very good, but not terrible”

Adriana's Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 575 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was my first and so far my only New Haven dining experience. It served the purpose of filling a hungry belly.

My meal was okay. The portions may just be the most tremendous of any restaurant I have been to. If they served half the portion of what was offered, it would have been enough. If the food tasted better, I would consider it to be a better value.

If you rate value for the volume of food you get per dollar, this place is a great value.

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I decided to stop here for dinner on our way home to NYC. We eat at many restaurants in NYC and anywhere we vacation. I chose this place based on its reviews on Tripadvisor. I give it a solid 2/5, based upon my total of nearly $65 pre-tip, and the restaurant's guise--a fine Italian restaurant. If you value quality ingredients in a tastefully prepared and executed way then this is NOT your place. I did not enjoy any aspect of my meal save the glass of French Pinot Noir. I gave it until leaving and hindsight to assess my experience and this is it: I feel that this restaurant caters to a customer who values "value" in a dining experience. The portions are on the enormous side and are a proponent for obesity. The quality of ingredients and preparation, as a result, suffer. The bread wasn't too good. The antipasta salad was awkward: fresh raw red and yellow peppers, celery, and red onions in a vinaigrette. The free salad was a cheap way to give you more bang for your buck: mixed greens, red onions, a tomato wedge, served with a serving bowl of tasteless creamy Italian dressing. I would have opted out if I knew it were coming, as I dont like to waste food, but our waiter appeared with it out of nowhere. My porcini fettucini was a portion for two people. The mushrooms had great flavor, and the ingredients were of good quality, but the execution wasn't very harmonious and though it looked it from the moment the dish was set in front of me, it was confirmed after several bites: not a delight to eat. I also ordered a side of sauteed assorted mushrooms. The portion was tremendous and they were nicely sauteed, but it appeared to be a variety of maybe two to three types at most. The gigantic portion of this and all dishes to me gave me the feeling of "heres a lot of food for your money; enough to take home to eat for later". I really don't subscribe to that type of a philosophy. I prefer to have an ample portion of food that is delicious and eaten fresh right there and then. While some foods may taste better "the next day": chilli, stews, etc., this shouldn't be the case with fine Italian food. My girlfriend had the pappardelle la astica. I tried some of the lobster meat and it was very fishy tasting and sub par. There was also an abundance of it, which to me raised a question as to its quality based on the dish's sub-$20 price. She later told me that the lobster meat varied in taste and well-doneness. Parmesan cheese should be grated right onto a hot plate, and not served pre-grated in a bowl with a serving spoon. In this manner, it is likely not a fine cheese like Parmiagina-Reggiano, and could be a Sysco product with fillers. The atmosphere was a bit too brightly lit. The service, however was very good. I tipped accordingly. Quite frankly, I didn't complain about the food, because I felt that this is how they do things and is just not my kind of place. Needless to say, we didn't ask for our leftovers to be wrapped, as I would have no intention in reheating my meal to eat as delicious leftovers, because that it was not.

This is NOT fine Italian cuisine, but more of a bang for your buck, type of a place.

1  Thank RoggieRog
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Besides eating two lovely dinners at Adriana's, I hosted a graduation dinner there in the private room, for 50+ people, and it was a complete success. For $64 per person, including tax and tip but not alcohol, we had a five-course meal with several items per course. After the four appetizers, most people could not believe there was more food coming! We had a pasta/risotto course; salad course; protein course with veal, chicken and fish; and finally dessert and coffee. The staff was very helpful and worked with us ahead of the dinner to plan a menu that would please everyone. A truly generous touch was that they accommodated a few people with special dietary restrictions by essentially letting them order whatever they wanted off the menu. They truly care about pleasing their customers.

Our only small complaint was that we'd hoped to have a few dessert options brought out, but there was a misunderstanding and everyone was just given tiramisu (which was only ok, nothing special) unless they specifically asked for something else. But we all agreed we barely had room for dessert anyway. There was truly way too much food, and we felt we got excellent value for our money.

Though Adriana's is in an odd part of town -- not downtown and not really Wooster Square either -- it's worth a trip to check it out. Don't let the neighborhood or exterior deter you - from inside, you wouldn't recognize it.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

While visiting New England, local friends took us to Adriana's. We no longer live in CT, and we had a hankering for the real deal Italian. Our friends dine there at least once a week. We were really looking forward to our meal, and we were not disappointed. Our friends like to eat in the bar, and we sat at their corner table. The waitstaff were the elegant, handsome Italian gentlemen. Service was impeccable and attentive. The food was glorious. My husband had the clams appetizer. An abundance of large, juicy clams in an aromatic garlic broth arrived. Dipping the toast in the broth was melt-in-your-mouth heaven. My friend and I shared the beef filet and pasta Bolognese. The filet was an amazing portion for the price. It was behemoth. Yet, each bite had a crunchy edge and deliciously buttery texture. The pasta was so delicious that we kept alternating bites with the beef. Needless to say, we had leftovers for steak and eggs and more. My husband ordered the veal Milanese. That's all my husband ever orders, and it was outstanding. The best he has ever tasted. Well, we are back in FL and can only dream of our fantastic experience. Heaven will call, and we will be back.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My son took my husband and myself for dinner on Sunday night. He had raved about it. The portions are huge and it is very reasonable. It is a cozy little Italian place in New Haven CT. The appetizers were large.The minestrone soup came in a bowl I had never seen. The salad came on a tray. My son had sausage (4) with broccolo rabe. It could have easily been an entree. We all had pasta but there was a large selection of other things. My husband who usually eats all of his vongole brought half home. Desserts!!! OMG chocolate cake to die for. Try it you won't be disappointed but take your appetite with you.

1  Thank arubaduke