“Nice Lively Bistro”
Review of Stone Hearth - CLOSED

Stone Hearth
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Stone Hearth is a friendly neighborhood bistro built around a modern farmhouse design. Many of the foods are prepared with fresh ingredients that are locally and regionally sourced depending on season, weather, and availability. The menu selections are designed to meet a number of diet requirements - vegetarian, paleo, low calorie, or gluten free*. Wines are from organic, sustainable, or small family owned vineyards and the draft beers are crafted locally or regionally. Delicious desserts are made on-premise. The knowledgeable and experienced staff will make sure you have a great dining experience that combines great food and great service in the warm and comfortable ambiance that is Stone Hearth. Come for dinner any day but Monday and/or for weekend brunch. *Gluten free means made with gluten free ingredients but not in a gluten free environment.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

On a run through the northeast to hit some of the colleges. Stone Hearth was recommended as being as good as the better downtown restaurants but located just past downtown so it was easy to get to and parking was no problem.

It has a nice location across from a park. We had a table for 4 with a window view of the park just at dusk. While I faced the park and enjoyed the relaxing view my companions faced the open kitchen and enjoyed watching how things worked. The genders are different. Service was effective.

We shared two personal pizzas to start. The pizza here is what I would call rustic or maybe New York style. It has a little thicker crust and is chewy. It is very good just not like the thin crust New Haven pizzas I have had in the past. We all enjoyed.

I had the herb crusted trout with a side of vegetables That was very good. The kitchen watchers at my table had the hangar steak which they devoured so I assume it was good. The other entrée was the salmon which also got the thumbs up.

This looks like a good place for dessert. We had a mix and shared - apple crisp, chocolate mousse, molten lava cake, and ice cream. All the plates were picked clean at the end. I particularly like the lava cake.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I will explain my title shortly but will point out some positives first. We were there for brunch on a Sunday. Atmosphere was good and location very nice. Overall the staff was friendly and food was good. My wife had the Tostadas and I had the Eggs Benedict with Canadian Bacon. My dish came with potato's and unfortunately they were flat out cold. Value was overall not bad. So the downsides. First service was a little slow, I think they were too short staffed as the waitresses were also playing hostess to all incoming guests. They were not swamped but its a minor annoyance when people that come in after you start getting served before you. But the last impression of this restaurant will be the cloudy water. So the waitress served us the water and immediately I saw the pitcher was cloudy. My first thought was maybe it was infused with a lemon or lime juice which could cloudy it. Unfortunately that was not the case. We tasted it and it was regular water. While waiting we checked reviews on this site to see if anyone ran across this and also looked online to see if maybe the water in the area was cloudy. We also looked around and the other glasses on some tables were cloudy as well. There were multiple pitchers at the bar area that were all cloudy as well. After being served and seeing other people kind of staring at their cloudy water we felt compelled to ask out waitress if the water is always cloudy like this. Turns out it is not (thank God!) but they accidentally spilled some milk in the ice cubes and I guess as it melted it clouded the water. Ok, mistakes happen but what bothers me is the lack of attention to detail. And when it comes to food in my opinion its all about the details. Cloudy water should stick out like a sore thumb and never should multiple customers come across the same thing. So needless to say it was a big turn off because it there is lack attention in something so basic what else is being missed (on top of my cold potato's). So would I return, maybe. There are other places very close by I would try before coming back but I think this location has potential,

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have dined twice at Stone Hearth and enjoyed our meals both times. The roasted garlic and focaccia appetizer was excellent, as well as vegetarian 'meat' balls that were a special that night. I had the short ribs for my entree and my fiancee had one of the unique pizzas that Stone Hearth offers. We shared a gluten-free brownie for dessert. We have found the staff to be friendly and welcoming and we will definitely visit again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

After spending the same amount of money at another restaurant a few days later and having everything be amazing, I realized I really needed to rate this place. The soup I ordered was very good but so hot I could not eat it right away. And even 5 minutes later it was still very hot. The other appetizer we got and the meal were avergae - nothing special. The cocktail I wanted they were out of so they suggested another. I barely tasted any alcohol and it was not very good. When they aksed me about it and I said I did not like it they offered me another which I declined but they brought me some flavoring to put in it which helped. Dessert was frozen and a bit too cold to enjoy and it was not very tasty. When I did not eat it they asked me why and took it off my bill. I had coffee then which was barely drinkable. The acoustics in the place made it very noisy as well. The waitress and host were very nice but for $100 I expect food that is worth it. This was not.

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We t there twice this summer, mostly for their pizza that truly reminds me of the real Italian dough, tender, chewy, bittersweet. Well done. The best ones are the simplest ones. Pinot noire by the glass is good. Creme brûlée is one of the best I ever had. Just spectacular. Service is friendly and solicit. Place gets quite noisy in the evenings. Hard to have a conversation without yelling. You will leave the place feeling well. Food is well prepared and leaves you with an impression of healthy and light.