“Follow the line for Sunday brunch”
Review of The Pantry

The Pantry
Ranked #26 of 560 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American
new haven ct
“Follow the line for Sunday brunch”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Killer panckaes. Everything is really good. The line moves quickly. No reservations.

connecticut
“good brunch but mediocre service and long lines”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a graduate school hang out for Yalies. It serves brunch all day which is great but the lines are always really long and the service is OK.

ak496
“Great food, ambiance, value, and creativity”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Good food makes me smile. Bad food makes me really grumpy. I was smiling all day after breakfast at the pantry. Coffee strong and hot, and waiter very accomodating making smaller versions of regular offerings. BEWARE, the short stack of pancakes were 3 high, hot, fluffy and delicious and standing 3 inches high. The regular version must be served in a wheelbarrow. Walnut, apple, cinnamon pancakes were accompanied by excellent home fries, not greasy with flecks of garlic and scallions. French toast dusted with sugar and cinnamon were topped with huge, fresh strawberries. The best was the most delicious white fish salad (smokey, not salty, light) accompanied by a perfectly toasted onion bagel, cream cheese on the side, sweet onion, fresh tomato, crisp lettuce and capers). Not a fancy place, but alot of character (and characters), expect a line on the weekends, and service that is not rushed. In a breakfast that was one superlative after another, the only let down was the organge juice, which was typicall pre processes, rather than fresh squeezed (probably to keep the price low, which is the hallmark of the Pantry). This place deserves the reputation for the best breakfast in New Haven.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank ak496
North Haven, Connecticut
“Hair in food, terrible coffee, rude staff”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I found a long HAIR twice in my food and the coffee is not good at all! I doubt it's just coincedence that it was aweful everytime I've been there. Nothing special about the food here, it's ordinary breakfast you can get at diners. I've been here a few times because it's my bestfriends favorite breakfast spot. The staff is very "standoffish" except for this one young hispanic looking man I've seen seating customers a few times, he seems to be the only one that is able to smile or be polite. I complained once about the hair in my food and not only did they still charge me for it, they were so rude to me as though it was my fault! I don't know if he was just the cook or the owner, but he was so unprofessional & yelled at my waitress, she wasn't very pleasant to begin with but he's the cook, how is it her fault?! The hair wasn't even her color! Anyway, I believe in second chances which is why I didn't write them off immediately but this is too much. Yeah, I wont be going back there! I advise those reading the same, sorry but true.

• Visited May 2011
New Haven, Connecticut
“The best breakfast place in greater New Haven area”
Reviewed April 8, 2011

If you are looking for a healthy hearty breakfast, this is your spot. I frequent this breakfast restaurant quite often. It is a small place with a simple diner charm, commonly known by the locals. Sunday mornings are really busy, of course. It has a first come first serve seating arrangement. On warmer days, there will be a line that travels around the corner. This I find a testament to how yummy the breakfast is. Don't frett because most of the time the line moves quickly. They make awesome omelettes; one of my favorite combo is the spinach, tomato, and feta cheese. Also the belgium waffles are made with real fresh strawberries and whip cream on top without the sugary sauce. I am not a fan of the fake sugar enhanced topping that most restuarants place on pancakes and waffles. The fresh fruit plate is also incredible. They will also have some great specials like gingerbread pancakes or seasonal influenced items. The prices are very reasonable for the quality of food. The only downfall is that they only accept cash. So stop at the ATM before you hit up this New Haven breakfast gem.

• Visited November 2010