“Great food, ambiance, value, and creativity”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pantry

The Pantry
Ranked #31 of 553 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
ak496
“Great food, ambiance, value, and creativity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

Good food makes me smile. Bad food makes me really grumpy. I was smiling all day after breakfast at the pantry. Coffee strong and hot, and waiter very accomodating making smaller versions of regular offerings. BEWARE, the short stack of pancakes were 3 high, hot, fluffy and delicious and standing 3 inches high. The regular version must be served in a wheelbarrow. Walnut, apple, cinnamon pancakes were accompanied by excellent home fries, not greasy with flecks of garlic and scallions. French toast dusted with sugar and cinnamon were topped with huge, fresh strawberries. The best was the most delicious white fish salad (smokey, not salty, light) accompanied by a perfectly toasted onion bagel, cream cheese on the side, sweet onion, fresh tomato, crisp lettuce and capers). Not a fancy place, but alot of character (and characters), expect a line on the weekends, and service that is not rushed. In a breakfast that was one superlative after another, the only let down was the organge juice, which was typicall pre processes, rather than fresh squeezed (probably to keep the price low, which is the hallmark of the Pantry). This place deserves the reputation for the best breakfast in New Haven.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank ak496

North Haven, Connecticut
“Hair in food, terrible coffee, rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

I found a long HAIR twice in my food and the coffee is not good at all! I doubt it's just coincedence that it was aweful everytime I've been there. Nothing special about the food here, it's ordinary breakfast you can get at diners. I've been here a few times because it's my bestfriends favorite breakfast spot. The staff is very "standoffish" except for this one young hispanic looking man I've seen seating customers a few times, he seems to be the only one that is able to smile or be polite. I complained once about the hair in my food and not only did they still charge me for it, they were so rude to me as though it was my fault! I don't know if he was just the cook or the owner, but he was so unprofessional & yelled at my waitress, she wasn't very pleasant to begin with but he's the cook, how is it her fault?! The hair wasn't even her color! Anyway, I believe in second chances which is why I didn't write them off immediately but this is too much. Yeah, I wont be going back there! I advise those reading the same, sorry but true.

• Visited May 2011
New Haven, Connecticut
“The best breakfast place in greater New Haven area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

If you are looking for a healthy hearty breakfast, this is your spot. I frequent this breakfast restaurant quite often. It is a small place with a simple diner charm, commonly known by the locals. Sunday mornings are really busy, of course. It has a first come first serve seating arrangement. On warmer days, there will be a line that travels around the corner. This I find a testament to how yummy the breakfast is. Don't frett because most of the time the line moves quickly. They make awesome omelettes; one of my favorite combo is the spinach, tomato, and feta cheese. Also the belgium waffles are made with real fresh strawberries and whip cream on top without the sugary sauce. I am not a fan of the fake sugar enhanced topping that most restuarants place on pancakes and waffles. The fresh fruit plate is also incredible. They will also have some great specials like gingerbread pancakes or seasonal influenced items. The prices are very reasonable for the quality of food. The only downfall is that they only accept cash. So stop at the ATM before you hit up this New Haven breakfast gem.

• Visited November 2010
1 Thank JSylvia707
Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2010

They eggs benedict were very good & the pancake portion was huge. The home fries were unique (tasted like potato skins) and were some of the best I have ever had. Somewhat pricey but well worth it.

New London, Connecticut
“The pantry is a nice, clean and...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

The pantry is a nice, clean and delightful breakfast place to go to when in New Haven. The Benedict ( 3-4 kinds no less! ) is perfectly poached, and the coffee is excellent. The melon that is served with each Benedict dish was amazingly sweet and delicious! Other highlights include the service, which was on point and courteous. Of note: The pantry has been awarded New Havens best place for breakfast 10 years running!

1 Thank FlyboyPA151