“Awesome pizza and dinners, good service,no wait!”
Review of Abate Restaurant

Abate Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 567 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Abate's has a great menu- their family style salad they bring out if delish! and soups are homemade good. We never wait in line at the "other" pizza place, because honestley Abate's is great and consistent.

There are newer reviews for Abate Restaurant

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I think of it as "Pizza Central" because their pizza is better than anything that's coming out of the ovens at their more famous neighbor and competitor. Even the old timers, who grew up eating at the other place, will admit that Abate's has somehow caught up and passed them. The crust is better, and that makes all the difference. Personally, I also like the basic tomato sauce Abate uses; it seems to cook up perfectly and not get lost in the cheese and other toppings. Overall, still the best sausage-pepper-olie pizza on the East Coast. But, if you want something else, say, pasta with olive oil and garlic, or lasagna, oe eggplant permigiano, you're still in the right place. At the end of the street. Where it belongs. The last best stop for Italian food in New Haven. Still the way it used to be years ago. Clams Casino, Broccoli Rabe, you name it, they got it. Best in class for sure.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I ate at Abate's for the first time. My friend has eaten here a number of times. We ordered two medium pizzas. The vegetables were fresh and plentiful. The sauce outstanding (like fresh tomatoes). Crust was thin, but not too thin. We feel it is the best pizza we have had on Wooster St.

Outdoor dining is on inexpensive plastic white tables and chairs. Waitress service is mediocre.

My friend says dinners at Abate's are delicious, too. Go for the good food when ambiance and service are less important.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Very good gluten free pizza. Chicken Florentine (not gluten free) also a stand-out. Friendly, helpful staff.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

If you detest the way that Sally's treats you like dirt, and love Frank Pepe's but would like to try another version of New Haven style pizza, Abate's is an excellent choice.

Abate's pizza has a thin crust, but not quite as thin as Sally's or Pepe's. You might need a knife and fork for the first bite or two but after that you can pick it up to eat, which you can't often do without making a mess at the other places. We had the Abate special and the 16" pie was piled so high with toppings that three of us couldn't finish it off, resulting in a few slices to bring home.

I don't live in or near New Haven but I love New Haven style pizza, and look forward to having it when I visit my son who lives there. Having tried several other pizza restaurants, this one runs a very close second to Pepe's in my opinion, and I will likely return on some future visit.

The dining room here is a little nicer than Pepe's and so much better than the dump that is Sally's that it isn't in the same universe. While you'll come for the food, it always nice to have pleasant surroundings.

Abate also offers other standard Italian menu items but we didn't try them ourselves. The food brought to neighboring tables did look quite good, however.