“good kitchen, atmosphere unexciting”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Zinc

Zinc
Reserve with OpenTable
Zinc is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 553 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between College and Temple Streets
New Haven, Connecticut
“good kitchen, atmosphere unexciting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

As new resident to New Haven I am still working my way down the restaurant list, and Zinc had been on my to-do for some time. Today was the day, an early dinner with my daughter. What first catches your eye entering zinc is - not much. The decor is dark, in I guess what is described as a minimalist/modern touch with dark wood, mirrors and of course some obligatory zinc. With some candles and flowers it might exude some sex appeal in the later evening...but without it the atmosphere does not exude much character at all. It is restaurant week in New Haven, and as this was my first Zinc stop, I'm not sure what impact this had on the menu offering. We chose the 3 course menu, and had a glass of open steel chardonnay from the list. A good start. For me it was grilled shrimp first - 3 good sized and very tasty ones served with some minced red beet and seasoning. As a main course we both had the braised beef - served on french string beans, with a "pistachio -bernaise" creme sauce - interesting - and again perfectly seasoned, prepared and very tasty. My dessert was an apple crisp with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream - this was a bore - not bad, but heavy on the sugar and nothing else to set it apart. My daughter had the chocolate mousse cake, which was likewise good - but not to write home about. The coffee was excellent - I mention this as I am fussy with my coffee after living 30 years in Europe. Service was friendly, not overbearing and attentive - my only complaint here is that at least in the evenings, a waiter should not serve the bill in the middle of dessert - wait until it is asked for if your guests are obviously in no rush - don't make them feel you can't wait for their table to be free !! Some of us like to relax at dinner - have espresso or coffee afterwards, and maybe even an after dinner drink. Overall a solid culinary performance, but in my estimation more effort may be required to compete with that volatile Frenchman a block down the street.

• Visited April 2014

Providence, Rhode Island
“Great food, wine, service in NH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Never dined in New Haven before and needed a central location for a group dinner for 7. This turned out to be an excellent find. The decor is contemporary zinc table tops and menus - casual but very nicely done. The menu offered a great diversity of interesting food for all. I had chicken/mushroom sausage over wild rice with chopped corned beef (of all things). Others had sushi grade tuna, etc. The wine list is very good for a restaurant this size; again a diverse list of good wines with some nice value selections at the lower price ranges as well as fine wines from around the world. Service was outstanding - our server, although quite busy, was always smiling, listening carefully to questions and food allergies, and attentive to every need with a very pleasant positive attitude. Pricing was ok, certainly commensurate with the menu and service ($26-$35 main dishes). Free (validated) parking in a garage behind the restaurant was a definite plus, given the location. Absolutely no negatives - we will go back.

• Visited March 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“A lunchtime staple”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Their chicken and goat cheese salad is maybe my favorite lunch order in all of Haven. Nice atmosphere at lunchtime, too. I've never been there for dinner, though.

• Visited February 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very, very nice evening...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were in New Haven for the evening and were lucky enough to get a rez here.....Great servcie, friendly folks from the time we walked in until we said good night....very nice wine by the glass -- we had a white wine from Sicily described by our server as close to a Vermentino and she was right on the money...also a very nice Albarino. The first plates were large and tasty...the burrata was totally wonderful. The firsters are so big, you can probably share one and save some dollars. Main course...an atlantic cod entree was tasty, and the hangar steak was perfectly delicious . Dessert saw us sharing a brioche bread pudding with dates apples and salted caramel...lip smacking...

• Visited February 2014
Stamford, United States
“Great 4 A Date”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This place has great service and above average food. Went here for a special date night and Zinc delivered. Good food selection, would go again without question.

Visited February 2014