“Great pizza (and you can get other things)”
Review of Modern Apizza

Modern Apizza
Ranked #1 of 585 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Pizza, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My girlfriend and I always argue about Pepe's vs. Modern (like everyone else in New Haven). One of the things that puts Modern over the top for me is that they have a full menu with other things too, if you want something on the side. Obviously the pizza is the best, but at least you can get something else if you want it, which you can't at Pepe's.

Reviewed July 2, 2010

The pizza here is absolutely outstanding. I recently tried an eggplant and artichoke white base pizza. The texture of the thin base/crust was absolutely perfect (compared to a disappointing, chewy crust I'd had at Pepe's - where they also forgot my order - only a few nights before) and the toppings were of very high quality and beautifully cooked. It's also great value - about $25 for 2 people, including drinks.

Reviewed June 4, 2010

Based on all the rave reviews we tried Modern the other night. We weren't really dissapointed but we weren't really impressed either.
Since we are new to this area we are trying all of the restaurants for the first time.
In Order to compare the best pizza we try to order our standard (sausage and pepper) at each place. Modern fell sadly short of Pepe's!
First the interior is depressing (not "modern" at all as expected. The dark wood booths seem grungy!
The service was okay. When we arrived there were groups waiting for tables, not sure if we should put our name on a list, I tracked down an employee who impatiently told me that she would be out soon to take down names, so she couldn't put mine on a the list. As I headed back out to the entry, she followed moments later to take down names (we were the only new name). Others who came in later, also seemed confused about what they were supposed to do. Once seated our service was better.
Our pizza was very good, crisp crust (a bit doughy tasting), good toppings, heavy on the cheese. It was very good pizza! However, we didn't like the bland tast of the crust, how heavy the cheese was, and the burned cornmeal on the bottom of the pizza got all over everything and added a burned taste if you got a bite with too much on the bottom.
Unfortunatly with so many amazing pizza places, we can't recommend this one.

1  Thank set2explore
Reviewed May 26, 2010

The pizza here is excellent, but I would have probably given the restaurant 4 stars due to a lack of interesting atmosphere and average service. I had to add the 5th star, however, because they have Seahag IPA... way to support the local craft beer company, Modern!

Reviewed April 22, 2010

I like Pepe's pizza a tiny bit more, but this is definitely a better restaurant experience. Try it, people rave for good reason. Great Pizza, you decide if it's the best.