“Better than Pepe's and Sally's!”
Review of Modern Apizza

Modern Apizza
Ranked #1 of 583 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Pizza, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed November 23, 2008

I grew up in New Haven and always thought Modern was way better than Pepe's and Sally's. The sauce is key. It is not bitter or pasty. I live in California now but am back in CT at least once a year. I always pay Modern a visit! Sometimes I even buy a pizza, freeze it, and take it back to CA in my luggage! If only they delivered in my area....

Reviewed November 21, 2008

We took out their pizza. Our relatives go all the way from North Haven because they love it so much. I was anxious to try their pizza, and was glad we did! The crust is thin and crisp, and the ingredients and red sauces are authentic and delicious. Ingredients are thinly layered on top of the pie- it reminded me a lot of New York pizza which I loved so much.

Take out service is superb and the pie is always ready when they promise it.

1  Thank JCArchT
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I'd rate Modern third out of New Haven's top pizza places.

I should add that New Haven really does have the best pizza in the USA. That may be hard to believe for some outsiders but have a taste and then I think you will agree!

I'd put Pepes and Sallies (both of Wooster St - New Haven) ahead of Modern by some margain. Yet Modern is far easier to deal with on a day to day basis if you just want to eat and don't want to wait too long. The pies here are very good and the lines are CONSIDERABLY shorter than at Pepes and Sallies. You may even find a parking spot within Modern's lot! However don't ever expect to just walk right in - expect at least a 10 minute wait and it can often be longer.

For the best pizza, regardless of wait, go to Pepes or Sallies. These places are worth the additional time but not on a week by week basis.

2  Thank daarrid
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 27, 2008

great pizza, nothing like New Haven Pizza

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 17, 2008

18" was plenty for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Thin crust. Popular with everyone. Good atmosphere and prompt service. Recommended and would definitely go again. Reasonably priced.

1  Thank rdmac4550