“Best Pizza and Service”

Cuisines: Pizza, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Best pizza in the area...if not all of New England!

My favorite is the meatball pizza, but all of the pizzas I have tried are very good.

There are newer reviews for Modern Apizza

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Modern is one of the three top pizza places in New Haven, and by extension the United States. It's at least as good as Pepe's and Sally's, and has some considerable advantages. It's easier to get a table and, if you want to get takeout, it always takes twenty minutes. (At Pepe's, it takes some random amount of time that can exceed an hour. I gave up on Sally's because they never answer the phone.)

The pizza crust—the most important part of the pizza—is thin but not insubstantial, slightly charred, yet chewy on the inside (not soft, like white bread). I usually get a mozzarella or a hot cherry pizza, which is both hot and sour but not overwhelming. There is just the right amount of cheese, which comes bubbling hot, not in a thick, solid layer like in many places.

The service is fast and friendly, and the prices are good. I always try to go if I'm passing through New Haven (I lived in New Haven a while back, but don't make it often enough now), and I typically buy a large and take home the leftovers.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Born and bred in New Haven, CT (pizza capital of the world), Modern Apizza still reigns king. Pepe's and Sally's receive more publicity, but the locals here know where to go for the best.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stopped by Modern Apizza while passing through New Haven at the suggestion of a co-worker. I am a huge pizza fan, and my wife makes rustic pizza from scratch, so I was definitely looking forward to this. Modern Apizza did not disappoint!

Service - We arrived around 11:30 on a weekday, so seating was plentiful at the time (although it got crowded later on). Service was super fast, and very pleasant. Our server (Jones) was very helpful and attentive.

The Food - Like I said, I'm a huge pizza fan. Not a snob, but I appreciate unique pizzas and different crusts. We ordered the bacon and onion pizza. It was spectacular. The cheese was great, great fire grilled crispy crust, and it was a perfect amount of toppings. I had to stop myself from continuing eating!

Decor - Very nice for a pizza place. Comfortable booths, kind of tightly spaced, but that's what you get in an old building.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We started with the Bruschetta, that was fabulous. We enjoyed a white pizza with tomatoes and a sausage and meatball pizza. Both were delicious. We went a little early to beat the rush.