“it's worth the trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Modern Apizza

Modern Apizza
Ranked #1 of 551 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
US
“it's worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

We had our first pizza from Modern tonight. Although we live 30 minutes from New Haven, when we want pizza - we will go to Modern from now on!

• Visited November 2011

• Korean first
MA
“Just Delicious; The Best Pizza in CT; Attention Foodies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Modern's makes the best brick oven pizza in CT; I stop here whenever I pass New Haven. I admit that we actually time trips between NY and MA so we can stop and eat either lunch or dinner at Moderns. My favorite is the hot pepper pizza, but it is hot.....so be warned. If you live in the area, you are very fortunate. Reasonable prices and casual atmosphere; great for all.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New York
“Great pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stopped in at 11 am and weren't even the first customers. Fabulous white clam pizza!

Visited October 2011
Branford, Connecticut
“Best New Haven Pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

New Haven is known for Pizza. Chicago has their deep dish but for pure pizza, you really can't find better pizza, anywhere than in New Haven. There are literally dozens of exceptional pizza places to go to. The three best-known ar Pepe's, Sally's and Modern.
Pepe's has sold out and now franchises at casino's and other places away from New Haven. Sally's is good, but has always been sharing the spotlight with Pepe's. Modern is just the way to go. Best pizza in a very competitive tight pizza market, the seating/atmoshpere is nice and the staff is great...thse other two places tend to have a little attitude, like they are doing you a favor for serving you..they are all good, but if you want to eat the best of New Haven pizza, try modern.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank ruusta
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Being a CT native living in Massachusetts, it is very difficult for me to eat what passes for pizza in my new home state. I grew up with New Haven pizza, and whenever I can, I skedaddle to Modern Apizza for a taste of the Best of the Best. Plenty of people talk about the other New Haven places, but it's all about Modern for me- the crust is perfectly thin and crisp, the sauce is balanced and tasty, the cheese is plentiful honest to goodness mozzarella. The char on the pizza from the oven adds to the delightful eating experience. A recent favorite is garlic and meatball, but I am also known to chow down on plain cheese, fresh tomato and garlic, and my all time favorite of mushroom and extra mooz. The special treat of Foxon Park beverages adds to the fun. You seat yourself here, and do yourself a favor, sit somewhere different every time you come, there is a lot of Red Sox memorabilia to look at on the walls. This is truly the best pizza in the world, I forget why it's called Modern, I think they've been around since 1930 something. If you are anywhere near New Haven, drop in for a pie, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited August 2011