“Best Pizza(Pie) in US!”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed December 8, 2013

If you haven't tried Pepe's pizza, you haven't had the best. They call it "pie" but whatever you call it, their food is outstanding. We had their classic white clam pie and a pepperoni pie both coming from the century old brick ovens with the care only Pepe's can give.

The offer many unusual sodas(pop). Try the White Birch.

We ate on a Friday at lunch and didn't have any trouble getting seated right away or finding parking. I understand they do get busy and sometimes people have to wait. You waould be crazy to be in New Haven and not get here for food like this. I only wish I could get this in Minneapolis.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,484)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been eating at Pepe's for some time. I know everybody raves about the clam, but my favorites are Broccoli and Onion with extra grated, white without mozzarella, Chicken and roasted red peppers with Mozzarella. Both are healthy and fantastic but not the usual order there. Pizza doesn't have to be a heart attack. You cook the above in a hot coal oven and there is nothing like it!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

So my fiancé who went to Yale raved about this place, so we went the Sunday after the Yale/Harvard game. It wasn't as packed as it usually is--only a short wait outside, and a 20 min wait inside. We didn't get service at our table for 15 min, they don't have fountain drinks?, and the pizza was just average. The white clam pizza, that they are famous for, was not may favorite; one slice was enough. The pepperoni pizza was fine, but again, not the world famous status I was hoping for.

I'm thinking this is one of those places that is the greatest thing in the world to students and alumni, but it's kinda a "you had to go here" kind of appreciation.

1  Thank fletchco
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I happened to be driving through New Haven and decided to stop at this iconic spot for lunch. We shared a white clam pizza, a salad, and Foxon Park soda. The white clam pizza was not what I expected, but it was delicious and unique. We managed to get a table right when the place opened, so there was no line. Our server was very helpful and nice to these two clueless tourists. We were glad we stopped!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Having seen the New Haven pizza wars on TV, we decided to drive up and try one of the famous spots, Frank Pepe's. There was a wait even before noon. After being seated we were ignored for longer than we should have been. The service was somewhere between desultory and uninspired. Our party ordered both a red sauced pie and what the ad called "the best pizza in the world", the white clam version. We were underwhelmed by both. The pizza crust, while thin, was tough and chewy, not crispy. The clams were like rubber. Overall a disappointing introduction to the New Haven pizza scene. Next time we'll try one of Pepe's competitors.

1  Thank Mavmed