“Interesting food in an upscale metro atmosphere”
Review of Bentara - CLOSED

Bentara
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Center
Milford, Connecticut
“Interesting food in an upscale metro atmosphere”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Bentara offers an interesting selection of Malaysian dishes in a clean contemporary atmosphere. If you like a bit of adventure, you can't go wrong here. It is located in the 9th square amongst other attractions and interesting restaurants.

• Visited April 2012

Manchester, Connecticut
“Charming Spot with Great Malay Dining”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have been to Bentara's on several occasions and am impressed with their consistently good Malaysian food. The wait staff has always been accommodating and recommends good wine pairings. Of particular note - curried mussels; Asam Pedas (fish, shrimp and calamari bathed in a tamarind sauce); spring rolls with their special hot sauce and of course their griddle breads. There is more than one option with the breads which helps when one wants to "sop up the sauce". From their Roti Changi (flat bread with curry sauce) to the Telur (flat bread filled with egges and onions fried on the griddle) to their Roti Murtabak (flat bread filled with tasty meat), it is all divine.

Like the vibe here.

• Visited January 2013
Connecticut
“Consistent Spicy Asian fusion food!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Loved the ambiance and selection. Have had lots of good lunches here and even better dinners. Their filet asian style is unique and delicious. Noodle soups very comforting. Plan ahead on lunches as the kitchen is smaller and makes all meals to order.

Visited December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Malaysian food in a lovely setting”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Charming little spot serving very good Malaysian food. Never having eaten food from this country, I have nothing to base my experience on other than the fact that the food tasted terrific. The service was attentive but each of the choices that I ordered were out. The waiter kept coming back from the kitchen saying, sorry we are out of that one too. Other than those glitches, the dinner was very nice. The resto is cozy, dimly lit and there is a very nice bar area. Nice introduction to Malaysian food.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Linda H
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Is it this zippy in Kuala Lumpor?”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

As of late, I feel like I am doing a disservice to my Indian heritage by not being able to brave spicy foods. Maybe it's an ego thing and tonight my ego was shot down a peg again. Bentara is a restaurant not that far from Union Station in NH and is a great choice for those that enjoy SE Asian cuisine. My only past experience with Malaysian food was at the defunct Penang in DC and I do not recall it being so spicy. Seriously, is this what food is like in Malaysia?! First, I ordered the curry mussels and they were delicious. The sauce is spicy but not too spicy, mixed with curry, tomato, some coconut, onions, and I thought I tasted a hint of lime. They do not have bread to soak up the sauce, which I felt was a real negative. You can wait until they bring rice or order the greasy crepe like bread. Either way, do not waste the sauce...soak it up with some carb! The table ordered chicken satay and spring rolls. Both of which were delicious. My entree was a rice dish, part of their build it yourself "all in one" section. I chose the combo with shrimp/chicken/beef and had the village rice option, which came with scrambled egg. Anyone else love eggs in a rice and meat dish? Holla!I am glad I listened to the waiter when I ordered the regular spice and not try to impress anyone. The good thing is you can choose your spiciness level from low to very hot. I thought the regular was pretty spicy. Hello portion control! You get a large portion of this dish and at about 17 dollars, this is what we can recession proof! I recommend this place for a nice outing with friends, family, or a date. The ambiance is warm, inviting, and cozy. The Tables look kind of rustic and the lighting is dim, and the color scheme lends to having a cozy romantic feeling. I did not use the bathroom but my mom did say something was up with the women's toilet. Wait staff also was not hovering and rushing us so that is always a welcome surprise. I did see a large party of about 10-15 peeps at a long table set up in the middle of dining room so it appears they can cater to a birthday party or other event for that size. Either way, if this is what cuisine tastes like in Kuala Lumpor, I want to go even more than I did before!

• Visited November 2012