“Amazing & Delicious!”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We went here last night. I would suggest making a reservation even though it is a casual restaurant. I don't know how anyone could give this place less than 5 stars. If anyone used to Eat at Foster's which was on Orange Street, the same chef is working here. We could tell right away by the creativity in the food. Regular pizza's, more exotic pizza's, lots of "small plates", all kinds of salads,with a huge variety. The menu comes on a clipboard and is about 4 pages long. The pizza is thin crust which I like. I got a plain cheese pizza and the first thing I DIDN'T have to do was blot off the oil like most pizza places. We were told all desserts are made in house. My husband got a peanut butter/ chocolate cheesecake and I got lemon curd in filo. Scrumptious! It's right near Modern Pizza where there was a long line. Personally, neither one of us thinks Modern is that good anymore. More hype like Pepe's than actual great pizza. Just our personal opinion. If some of those people in line had walked a few yards to this place they surely would have been pleasantly surprised. The wait staff was very accommodating & nice. I hope that everyone who tries this place likes it as much as we did. We definitely plan to return soon

1  Thank NorthHaven_ctIsadora
There are newer reviews for Da Legna

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've recently visited this place for dinner and was impressed with their artisan pizza selection, including some interesting combinations like pizza with sour cream, dill, and smoked salmon; or pizza with tuna. We ordered a pie with chicken, potatoes, and mozzarella, which was very good and reasonably priced except potatoes could have been cooked more. Da Legna also has great deserts - we tried chocolate mousse crepe and creme brule with smores. For creme brule they put a piece of wood next to the plate and set it on fire to create an 'eating smores' by the fire atmosphere. There are also plenty of other items on the menu even if you are not a pizza fun, including subs and a variety of appetizers. The only reason I gave it four stars is that it took a while to get our pizza but our waitress was very apologetic about the long wait.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Growing up in New Haven you just know good pizza...I think we have the best pizza anywhere in the world. Honestly. It's a tough thing to do to open a pizza place in the mecca of pizzaland but if you have not been here yet you MUST go! This has immediately become my new favorite place for pizza and we crave it constantly. The ingredients and preparation is so spot on and the taste of from the wood fired oven is unreal. They also have a large selection of delicious small plates and salads. We've been there half a dozen times and tried lots of different things on the menu and am never disappointed. They also have a full service bar and a great new ambiance to enjoy. It's just such a nice place to relax and enjoy a night out. Everyone should check it out at least once....I promise it won't be the last time!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

this restaraunt has become my favorite in new haven,after having my first meal there i have been back many times. having met one of the owners (dan) and knowing he is in the kitchen making meals hands on guy this is truly a place that is were a giftted chef is the person doing the cooking.The pizza is the best i have had any where in ct. and and the other courses on the menu are outstanding. It is great ot have this restaurant in my neighborhood and highly recommend it!

1  Thank james p
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My family and I went to have dinner at Da Legna since it recently reopened after a devastating fire (Amato's for all you New Haveners). We walked into the take-out area as it was brightly lit. We were met by one of the owners who promptly took us on a tour. They have a brand-new wood-fired stove (hence the name Da Legna) that adds the best flavor to the most amazing crust; but more on that later.

He led us through the beautiful bar area which was stocked with all top-shelf liquors and INFUSED VODKAS! They are very proud of the SVEDKA infused with mango and habanero, cantelope and ginger and others they create there. They also have apineapple infused rum. I can only speak for the mango and cantelope infusions as those were the ones I had. THEY WERE FANTASTIC! The flavors jumped all around in my mouth and were so tasty! Sorry, I got sidetracked with the vodka happiness; back to our experience!

We were led into the dining room--the decor is like distressed classy--that is not the best way to describe it, but let me try to be more clear....it is warm and comfortable and very classy but in a relaxed way. The waitress will bring you Mason jars for your water with a big bottle on the table for refilling (so cool). Most of the walls are paint and brick but the wall we sat next to was painted with the name and to look like the brick was coming through the paint--but NO--the bricks were painted on by hand!!! I had to get up and touch them to see that they were not real bricks! The painting inside and outside of Da Legna is amazing! You can easily tell that a great deal of craftsmanship was put into this place.

FOOD: One word: FANTASTIC! They have many "small plates" of very interesting dishes all under $10. We tried the Crispy Mac and Cheese Wedge. YES this was absolutely as good as its name implies. Heavenly macaroni in a tasty cheese sauce, coated and fried (I think) to perfection! Then we had the Cheesy Baked Cauliflower. The cauliflower was cooked to perfection and the cheesy sauce was so flavorful. I should have eaten a whole dish of this but knew I had to have pizza! They also offer very interesting salads and VEGAN OPTIONS!
THE PIZZA IS A THIN CRUST HEAVEN! With the wood stove the flavor of the wood makes the crust taste so good and it is cooked to perfection. This was NOT the place where everyone leaves the crust--they were all eaten!!! From traditional toppings of tomato sauce and all the regular toppings, to 18 artisinal pies, there is something for everyone! We chose 5 12" pies so we could sample different types. I chose the Patate (because we love potato pie and HAD to compare). It has Mashed potato, spinach, bacon, mozzarella, smoked gouda and corn! This pie beat out all the other potato pies I have ever had by far! Everything tasted so fresh and the flavors all mixed perfectly. My husband chose Capricciossa (even though he couldn't pronounce it!) Large slices of Proscuitto, wild mushroom, artichoke hearts, Gaeta olives and Mozzarella. This was so tasty! Our kids chose white with onions and peppers (those veggies were so fresh and had so much flavor--my second favorite); a red pie with chicken and bacon and a red pie with pepperoni, sausage and meatballs. Every pie had fresh or handmade ingredients and was a palate-pleasing treat! We brought home pieces of all the pies and they tasted just as good the next day as when they were fresh!

One of the owners was walking around greeting customers and giving out information on the restaurant. I was very impressed with all the little touches that they used to make the place feel really relaxing. Later on the chef (and genius), Dan, came over to our table to talk and I told him just how much I loved all of his creations. He seemed very appreciative of the praise and was happy we enjoyed our meal. This kind of personal service makes me want to eat her whenever I go out to eat.

MY FAVORITE PART OF EATING OUT IS DESSERT--one time I want to eat dessert for dinner. When I do, I am coming back here for that because all desserts are made fresh on-site and are perfect in size, presentation and flavor. They have six dessert items and we ordered five of them and each took a taste of them all. The phyllo dough shell with lemon curd and whipped cream was so crispy and creamy and lemony that one bite wasn't enough. The white chocolate mousse crepe was light and sinfully delicious. The apple walnut rangoons with butter brandy sauce and sweet cream ice cream was a delicious cold-weather treat and the cheesecake was creamy with a fantastic crust. By far the best dessert was the S'mores creme brulee. Your mouth is watering, right? Well it was just like you'd think, but the presentation was EPIC! Little wood shavings on the plate next to the bowl of creme brulee with chocolate and a big dollop of marshmallow that the waitress takes a blowtorch to so it lights on fire to finish it off! It was, by far, the winner of the evening--the presentation had all the nearby tables talking about it.

I have lived in the New Haven area all of my life, so I know pizza! I can truly say that this is the best place around for fresh pizza, great salads, fantastic desserts and a welcoming atmosphere! The other places had better watch out---this place just blows them away!!!

1  Thank mermaidmammy