“Disappointed”

Ranked #59 of 634 Restaurants in New Haven
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2018

In a city of Italian restaurants you have to work hard to stay competitive. We thought it would be great but were disappointed. The food was average and there were simply too many specials. You might think that wouldn't be a problem but the servers had to run down such a long list it was difficult to keep straight. Why not have a list of the specials with the menu each night?
There were four of us for dinner and two of us chose the Halibut special. Not thinking to ask the price, we discovered at the time of the bill that the Halibut cost was $35! Really? In New Haven? As Portofino's has a reasonably priced regular menu this was an unexpected $10 more than other choices. I might expect this in New York City but not in New Haven. In addition, although the halibut was a good size, it was only average in taste and not worth the price.
I can say that the service was excellent! The drinks, appetizers and main dishes were brought on time and our server was fabulous. She was efficient and friendly and showed a good sense of humor.
The decor and ambience is lovely although the noise volume was a bit loud.
While we appreciated the great service, we probably won't be back.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank dianep119

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Portofino is consistently excellent. Best veal dish I ever had. I recommend the seafood specials also. You will love the food here.

Reviewed July 28, 2018

Our CT friends took us here and it was an enjoyable experience. Multiple menu items as well as specials which is a huge plus. I especially enjoyed the Italian Wedding Soup and the Meatballs.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

This restaurant was highly recommended by a family member. The last time I was here was 7 years ago. I was not impressed then and not impressed now. The dinner salad was very weak. Hardly anything in it. It seemed like the dressing was only oil, no taste at all. I had better salads at chain restaurants. The bread was good. For such prices they could do much better. Our entrees were pretty ordinary, just so-so. Our server was friendly. Their menus were extremely dirty and dusty, it was disgusting. We will not go back again.

Reviewed May 31, 2018

awesome italian restaurant! some great specials and regular menu. the staff is very accomodating and friendly!

Date of visit: September 2017