“Attack of the Hipsters!”
Review of The Cask Republic

The Cask Republic
Ranked #29 of 559 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Middlebury, Connecticut
“Attack of the Hipsters!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Have been back to this place a couple of times since my last review. The beer menu and food menu changes frequently, which is a good thing. The servers are pretty helpful with beer selections and often recommend something I haven't tried before. This place has recently been discovered by hipsters, who tend populate the bar area, leaving no room for you to move around. And they get loud with their conversations about Kierkegaard and Jim Jarmusch. Sometimes it feels like I have been transported to Williamsburg when I am in this place. If you go, try to get a table in the back or side dining room where it tends to be more quiet and civil.

• Visited March 2014

New York City, New York
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Cask Republic is a brew pub. The food isn't bad but not worth a trip and we really found the service lacking. We waited forever to get menus and have our order taken but the biggest problem was the lack of knowledge or attention to the beers. We weren't familiar with anything that was available and I explained what I liked and disliked and what was recommended to me the first time was exactly what I explained I disliked. However, we also weren't offered a sample so ended up having to pay for a glass of something I tried and then practically spit out. Should have done better. Ugh.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank AnAnthropologist
Cheshire, Connecticut
“bad bar service”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Worst bar service I have ever experienced. Bartenders were unattentive and rude. Once we were seated, our waiter was pleasant and the food was good. It became very loud and crowded with 20-somethings so very difficult to have a conversation. I really wanted yo like this place but couldn't get past the bad first impression by the bartenders.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Laurel A
Derby, Connecticut
“Great energy”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very upscale laid back crowd. Fantastic place for afterwork or evening get to gethers with friends.
Try the infused Tanduay asian rum drinks

• Visited December 2013
“Would return....”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Overall had a good experience. Food was good, drinks were great and staff was friendly. Our waitress was uninspiring and average but not a reason to not return. If you like beer choices definitely a place to visit.