“Eat and read or vice versa”

Atticus Bookstore & Cafe
Ranked #17 of 553 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
CROMWELL
“Eat and read or vice versa”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a very popular place and always seems busy. I'm always stopping in to browse books. It's a good place to grab a nosh.

Visited January 2013

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“Looks like a place students would love, but far too expensive”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

As students, we walked by here everyday but could never afford more than a coffee. Its still expensive. $9.00 for a sandwich? But excellent food and a good place to take a break from museum.

Visited December 2012
New York, NY
“A perfect local bookstore”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

A gem in a city where reading is still taken very seriously. A small collection, but well chosen, and a wonderful section on staff choices. I have always found something new and engaging here, either by asking their knowledgeable sales team or jst by browsing. There's a great discount section, as well, equally well curated. And the cafe is great - soups and salads and scones and delicious baked goodies, with a nice selection of teas and artisanal breads.

Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“multiple disappointments”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Quality not consistent and very poor attention to customers ... even to loyal customers!

I have been working in the Yale campus area since September, in the past month I went to Atticus every week, multiple times, sometimes for lunch, sometimes for breakfast, often for a cappuccino, sometimes for a sandwich or a soup to go...

At the beginning it seemed to be the perfect cafe/bookstore in the neighborhood. In fact, last Wednesday I was about to write a great review... but that is when I started having some terrible experiences...

1. I went there at 7pm and asked for a sandwich to go. When the blond lady at the counter got the sandwich from the kitchen, she looked puzzled, then she went to the back, she put some bread in my bag and handed it to me. I was confused (why did she give me more bread?), but I tend to trust people (especially when they know me as a regular customer)... so I thanked her and I walked out with my bag. When I opened my lunch I was in shock: they gave me a sandwich, which was not actually a sandwich it was a joke! It was 1 inch wide, 1/2 inch thick and 6 inches long ... basically a stick! I realized that the blond lady fully aware that the sandwich was insufficient in quality and quantity had put in my bag 3 pieces of bread and 3 portions of butter to compensate. But that is not what I paid $10 for! I wanted a sandwich not bread and butter.
That stick-pretending-to-be-a-sandwich was not edible (not even sure how they generated it…).

I wanted to write a nasty review right away but then I thought I should be nice and give it another try. Unfortunately they let me down again... and again...

2. I went back for a large black bean soup with cream and onions on a side. They gave me a small one and they put everything inside. It is also my fault that I did not check inside the bag before walking out of the store... But, again, I really tend to trust people...

I am all for second and third chances, so I went back again...

3. Today I was feeling unwell immediately after a minor surgery. I needed some nutritious food to regain my energies and decided to go to Atticus for lunch. There were several tables available, I waited to be seated, I asked not to seat at the counter because climbing up the stool was painful after my surgery, they let me sit at a normal table with 2 chairs. I waited for 10-15 minutes (I was feeling really weak, it was very uncomfortable), they were serving the people around me but not me, they did not even bring me water. Finally a girl came to my table and told me that she needed the table for a couple (they just arrived!) and that I could only be served at the counter. Clearly they were making me wait on purpose! I explained the reasons why I could not sit at the counter... she did not even listen and she took the menu from me!! I asked if - considering that I waited 15 minutes - I could at least order with her and take away. She said I should go back in line at the counter and order there for take-away. How unfair! She did not even apologize for the inconvenience. How horrible! I was feeling so unwell. I went at the counter -- I would have walked away but I was so weak that I really needed some food as fast as possible. The guy at the counter looked puzzled to see me (he was the one who let me sit at the table). I explained my situation hoping to be allowed to sit at a table (there were 4 tables available at that point)... I was completely ignored.

I asked for a black bean soup with cream and onions on a side... once more they put everything inside. I paid for a large water, I was given a small one!

Seriously people!?

In short: no attention to food quality and bad customer service.

I am now looking for another "favorite" café … very sad.

• Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great books, cards, teas, & food too”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Well-chosen selection of books in multiple categories, with superb variety of special greeting cards. The usual expected excellent teas, coffee, & bakery munchies are great, but don't miss also the savory foods: exceptional macaroni & cheese, potatoes au gratin.

Visited September 2012