“Would not return”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crown Street
Transit: Metro North and Green Bus
Description: Oaxaca Kitchen - known for its seven moles and for its one of a kind gourmet traditional Mexican cuisine. We offer real food of Oaxaca with great presentation by our celebrity chef Prasad Chirnomula. To name a few great dishes like Mixteco Mole, Fire Grilled Seafood Salad, Mole Verde, Mixteco Chipotle Pork Tenderloin, and Prawns Al Mezcal which makes a destination for all the food fanatics.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We met here to meet a friend who had not been here yet, but had heard good things. I had to ask for a lime and a glass for my beer three times and finally received a lime, no glass. We ordered table-side guacamole, that was dropped on our table completely prepared with no "table-side:" preparation. I narrowed my choices to three, and asked for our server's recommendation. She promptly said that one of my choices was her absolute favorite meal, so I ordered it - they brought me a different meal. The pork that my husband ordered had a few pork pieces floating in an extremely salty tomato broth with white corn floating in it. Over-all very disappointing and overpriced for the quality of food and service.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We ate at the Oaxaca Kitchen with our daughter and her friend mid-week and the restaurant was quite quiet. The lack of ambience (I'm sure the weekends will be different) was more than made up for with the excellent food ... contemporary and imaginitive Mexican cuisine well cooked and very tasty ... don't go hoping for re-fried bean hearty mass produced Mexican dishes!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Dined here with friends because we had a Groupon. The atmosphere is very nice. Low lights, warm and cozy. The food was very good. We started off with the Guacamole, which was nice and fresh tasting. It was accompanied by warm tortilla chips. Everyone had the Bistec a la Parilla (Marinated Hanger Steak) except me and it was delicious. I ordered the Sauteed Prawns, very yummy. A little spicy so if you don't like that beware. The service was very good as well. We had a very attentive waiter. It's a little hard to park so give yourself extra time if you are parking on the street. There are a few parking garages in the area if you opt for that.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The place was dirty, service was bad. Ordered crispy tacos got flour, asked for no sour cream on enchalidas has it all over it. Rice was hard on the three meals. The other meal we ordered wasn't good, The price was costly for bad food.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We needed dinner within walking distance of a concert at Yale on a cold Friday night and quickly found Oaxaca. It looked promising...upscale interesting menu and very attractive bar area when you enter. And attentive service. I wish I liked it more.

They provided a bowl of chips for the five of us...and about 3 tablespoons of salsa. All was bland anyway. House margaritas are $10, a bit high, and I was talked into one with mescal...was good, but $14??

My dinner was actually quite tasty: Bistec a la Parilla...a marinated steak with black beans and corn. But fir $21 would it kill you to include some rice or cornbread? The other steak dish we tried (barbacoa de res) is served in parchment...cooked with avacado, and I'm told it was ok. Also $21. The pork belly special dinner was tasty but mostly fat, and $22.

Actually, the best deal was what two in our group had for dinner -- the $6 appetizer of two tacos with rice and beans on the side.

The looks and menu speak of a classy place for mexican...not a place to bring the kids for burritos and tacos. But I'm afraid it's not a place I'll return.