“Not your ordinary hotel restaurant”

Heirloom - New Haven
Reserve with OpenTable
Heirloom - New Haven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 558 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Drinks, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Chapel St and Park St
San Francisco, California
“Not your ordinary hotel restaurant”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Heirloom is located in The Study Hotel. I was staying there for a conference and never intended to eat there for three meals...but I did.

The first afternoon I arrived, I had a salad in the bar for lunch. I'm not a salad person, as I don't eat lettuce or tomatoes. I had the New England Chopped Salad, which was described as: Honey crisp apples, currants, brussel sprouts, goat cheese, wheatberries & cranberries, cider citronette. The one thing I'd recommend is a bit less of the wheatberries. This came in a large bowl and could have served four hearty eaters. Okay, I managed to get through more than half but I had been in airports and on planes for six hours. Everything was "chopped" or shredded, and the dressing was subtle and tart.

For dinner that night, I went down especially for the bouillabaise, which was not being served that night. So, I had the Northeast Sea Scallops, with caramelized spaghetti squash, sage, capers, citrus, and sultanas. Brilliant choice. Three large scallops on a bed of squash that was cooked to perfection (I've never really liked spaghette squash but this I will try to replicate), with the rest in a sauce.

For dessert, which I didn't need, I ordered the cookies. This was not a good experience. I asked what they were and was told they were usually two chocolate chip, a white chocolate with hazelnuts, and two oatmeal raisin. I asked if I could have one oatmeal and the rest chocolate. First, I got only one oatmeal raisin. I explained that I wanted the chocolate cookies, too. Ended up with four chocolate chips. Communication was not working. It was a bit loud but not that bad.

Two nights later, I had picked a restaurant outside but stopped to see if the bouillabaise was on the menu. It was, so I ate in. To start, there was a strawberry caprese, with burrata and arugula, sliced strawberries, and reduced balsamic vinaigrette. The burrata, a treat I just discovered on this trip, was so creamy, and the strawberries and balsamic were perfect foils.

The bouillabaisse has lobster, shrimp, mussels & monkfish in saffron lobster broth w. sherry, cilantro & dill. They got me at the saffron broth and I was not disappointed. Huge chunks of lobster and monkfish, tons of shrimp and Prince Edward mussels in the shell. There was toasted bread to dip but I barely got through the fish. Again, a meal I could have shared...but I ate it myself.

My one star off is mostly for service and atmosphere. It's so dark in there I could hardly read the menu. I think it is commencement weekend at Yale, so there were a lot of loud parties. I can live with that but I'd rather not. Also, the seats by the window are too chilly for me. I'm a wimp but I don't like to be cold.

• Visited June 2013

Opelika, Al
“Wonderful Restaurant”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Food was fresh, good - service was just perfect. Wine list is extensive. They buy supplies from local farms.

Visited May 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“A find in New haven”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Referred by the Marriott Courtyard, i found this a top notch place to dine.
The menu was interesting, Angelina, who was kind enough to take care of me, was friendly, knowledgable and excited about the quality of the food served.
This place would be a welcome addition to any community. It was a pleasant surprise in New Haven.

• Visited May 2013
New Haven, Connecticut
“Excellent seafood based brunch”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Went for brunch. Found a table even without reservation. Very friendly and efficient service. Seafood platter was a winner with great oysters, clams, shrimps and smoked trout. With some Prosecco, this is a great Sunday brunch. Muscles and lamb burger were also very good.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank pieroinusa
Wallingford, Connecticut
“Eclectic restaurant, but not necessarily in a good way”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Four of us went to the Heirloom for Saturday brunch, prior to a matinee performance at the Yale Rep Theater in New Haven. We took advantage of the valet parking, especially nice since we were able to leave our vehicle for the whole afternoon, retrieving it after the theater. Since parking is hard to find and expensive, this, by itself, was a huge plus. We had reservations, were immediately seated and offered coffee and handed our menus.

The service was excellent; aside from a rather long wait for our second mimosas, everything came quickly and the courses were nicely paced. The mimosas were great, as was the coffee, the orange juice, and the wine by the glass that members of our party also ordered. I didn't look at it, but the wine list appeared to be quite extensive and they had an interesting selection of dessert wines, including my favorite "Alcyone" from Uruguay. I've only seen it on the menu at one other restaurant in my area.

The menu was... odd? Nothing really jumped out at me as "gotta have it" and there weren't any tried and true dishes for the unadventurous eater (my husband) available. The starters we ordered were dips/spreads and none of them worked particularly well. I had a mixture of chopped walnuts with honey and Parmesan cheese served with grilled Italian bread slices. There wasn't enough bread to do justice to the walnuts and it was impossible to eat without making a mess as there was nothing to hold the walnut mixture together; they kept falling off the bread and all over the table. The slightly charred bread seemed jarring against the sweet walnuts. The two other dips we tried, a ricotta spread and a pimento cheese dip, were uninspired and bland and served with the same toasted bread.

The oysters and clams on the half shell were some of the best I've ever eaten. I would go back just for them, they were so good.

Apple cider donuts were tasty and the portion was huge; my husband ate two and brought the rest home.

The main courses on the menu were all over the place; salads of various types, a ploughman's platter with cheese and sausages and pickles, blueberry pancakes, bananas foster french toast (served with walnuts, a warm cream sauce and butter pecan ice cream), a cheeseburger, bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon and the fixings, grilled cheese and tomato soup, kale and eggs... I had the french toast sans bananas and it was good but very sweet with the sauce and ice cream. The blueberry pancakes were buckwheat and were too heavy and chewy for my husband's taste. The bagel combo was just okay, as was the burger. None of our entrees made us want to return for another dining experience. As for aesthetics, none of the plates were garnished in any way and sides were listed ala carte.

The other couple shared the molten chocolate cake, served with vanilla ice cream and blueberries. They finished it, so it must have been good. Other dessert items were butterscotch pudding, lemon pana cotta, cheese platter... After eating the french toast, dessert didn't really appeal to me.

None of us feel as though we really want to return for another meal. Somehow, the food combinations felt forced and too edgy. I felt like I was supposed to like the food because it was cool and modern but, in reality, it felt disjointed to all of us. I consider myself an adventurous eater so I don't think it's just my lack of appreciation.

If you're looking for an uber modern atmosphere and eclectic menu, enjoy Heirloom. For the group I was with, we'll pass.

• Visited April 2013