“Just wonderful!”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Just wonderful!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Location, location, location! What more can I say! I stayed there for three nights last week while on business and from the moment I arrived to when I left the hotel was perfect. One block from the Yale University Art Gallery, The Yale British Centre for Art and Old Campus. The staff were so helpful and accomodated all my requests from fixing my iphone wifi to finding me the perfect nail bar. The room was beautiful and very modern. Bottled water replaced every day. The only comment for us Anglo Irish travellers is that they don't have tea/coffee making facilites in the rooms. Coffee is available for free from early in the morning at reception and the do have a coffee dock during the day. I had breakfast each day which was huge and superb, see separate review on the Heirloom restaurant. Free wifi through out the hotel which was a bonus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Chicago
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at The Study for two nights in June 2013 while in New Haven for a wedding.

We found the hotel staff to be very warm and professional; the room to be elegant and modern, with a very comfortable bed, pillows, and linens; and the bathroom to be quite well-appointed albeit a bit small, although it possessed a marble floor and Grohe faucets. Free wi-fi and the iPod music dock were pluses, as well.

The Study is very close to Yale's Old Campus, numerous shopping options, several excellent restaurants, and the renowned Yale Art Gallery.

Another bonus is the hotel's Heirloom Restaurant, featuring locally-sourced ingredients (a chalkboard will tell you which farm sourced each ingredient). We were initially surprised that friends in New Haven said it was one of the city's best, but we had to agree with them after a particularly good lunch during our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on a higher floor to get a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hendrik W
NJ
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights while in New Haven. The hotel is very modern and clean with a very friendly staff. The hotel is located on Chape Street right next to the Yale campus and on a street with a number of good restaurants and coffee shops. I would recommend The Study if staying in New Haven.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
new york
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I was here in for 4 nights in May/June 2013 with my husband for his Yale 50th reunion. We stayed in this very classy, service oriented hotel for the first time. Our room was bright and lovely. Bed very comfy. Ice water with lemon in the lobby as well as wonderful ginger snap cookies. The food at breakfast was great, I had a green grass, whey protein smoothie every morning and ate at the bar once, also good. This boutique hotel is right next to the Yale university museum of art, so I was able to visit it several times in my few free moments. Already planning my next stay at The Study.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Opelika, Al
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights this May. Our room was a king study on the 5th floor. The weather was rainy and cold all 3 days we were here. How fortunate we were to have such a great room in a small hotel with wonderful service and a superb restaurant. Our room at The study was roomy with 2 big leather lounge chairs and a walled bookcase, ample desk space. We appreciated the black-out shades for a good nights sleep. Bed was comfortable. Coffee was out early in the morning. On Sunday the hotel put out pastries and fruit in addition to the coffee. Bottled water was replenished in the room daily. The room was cleaned promptly when we turned over the "please tidy up" sign. When we asked for directions at the front desk, they were quick to print out detailed directions. Elevators were very timely, as was the valet parking service. We ate 2 dinners and 2 brunches in the Heirloom restaurant. Service was perfect - I could not fault anything. And the food was fresh and good. The wine menu is extensive.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was not expecting The Study to be as good as it was. The rooms were large and airy. There are some great touches in the room, i.e. an IPod alarm clock, WiFi, and the ability to also have or utilize an ethernet connection. There was more than enough room to relax, in a comfortable chair with an ottoman. The bed was very comfortable and the desk area was great to have in the room. It has either been recently updated, or it is very well maintained. There is no doubt that I will return to The Study at Yale, the next time that I'm in New Haven.

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed here (two hotel owners ago), for a few days back in 1966 when I arrived in New Haven to start my freshman year at Yale. The hotel is MUCH more elegant, now, and better fits with its on campus location. It does, indeed, have the comfortable feeling of a study, like the Linonia & Brothers reading room in Sterling Library, both in the lobby, and in the room itself with its desk running the length of the window in my room overlooking Chapel Street.

My only complaint would be the terrible slowness of the wireless internet service, especially at busy times, and the terrible spottiness of the wired ethernet connection in the room, preventing hooking up your own wireless router. I recommend brining your own cellular to 802.11n hotspot with you to insure internet access while you're there.