“Comfortable But Annoying”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Auckland, New Zealand
“Comfortable But Annoying”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed for 2 night in a king room on the 7th floor. The room and bathroom are very spacious but there is only a shower, no bath! Boo. But, hot water and water pressure were good. Bed was firm and really comfortable, the desk was large and the armchair nice. But the cupboard was TINY and forced you to hang your clothes on two short knobs so there was no space to air clothes out or to not rub against each other. Thank goodness I didn't have a thick winter jacket. No room for a suitcase in the cupboard either.

The lamp lighting and one ceiling lamp are dull at night, you practically have to be under them to see. There were no power socket beside the bed which was really annoying. Also, there is an iPod dock but no radio alarm clock. I'm a huge radio fan in the evenings so this was a major issue.

Hallway wasn't busy but the noise of people going in and out of their rooms was really loud. The street is also crazy noisy with people out the front of the bars and the SIRENS constantly going to the hospital.

My booking was screwed up when I arrived and I got the impression from the person who booked me that this is a frequent problem. Breakfast arrived late I was annoyed with a lack of coffee maker in the room. The meals in Heirloom were ok but waiter can't follow simple requests like "dressing on side". Though this place was comfortable I probably would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't face Chapel St or the hospital, look out over campus instead.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Saffy2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful! Simple elegant modern design everywhere. The lobby invites you to go find a book to read, it is a very welcoming area and makes you feel at home right away. Check-in was a breeze!!!! And the room was ready even though we got there before 10:30AM. I loved everything about the room, would only add a mini fridge, specially if I were staying longer. Location is great, walking distance anywhere in the Yale campus. Amazing beds and linens, and free wifi everywhere in the hotel! I'll definitely stay at the Study at Yale again! Loved it.

Stayed April 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed here one night on business. The hotel was very clean and modern and everyone was very pleasant. The rooms are on the small side and you can definitely hear other guests through the walls. The AC was on full blast and set to 50 degrees when I entered, it took a long time for the room to warm up. In the evening, my room service came promptly but without any utinsels or a napkin. My breakfast room service came a full 20 minutes after the window I had requested and I was on my way out the door (literally!) so I had to send it back. I feel like when you give guests an option to select a time window, you should honor that. Everyone was very apologetic, but I ended up skipping breakfast. So overall, just an okay stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank zephyrgirl13
nagoya
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This is a fine hotel with style. Great service, rooms, location & facilities. We only have 2 issues: firstly, the rooms fronting the main road can be noisy with traffic. Secondly, both my daughter & I sneezed & suffered runny noses when in the room. This did not happen in the lobby, or outside. I don't know if it was due to the feather beds or sick house syndrome, but it wasn't hay fever & spoilt an otherwise pleasant stay (and did not happen in the other 4 hotels on this trip either).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the main street.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nagoyafrog
Lima, Peru
Reviewed March 6, 2012

My daughter and friends went to The Study at Yale. Staff was very helpful, rooms clean.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We continue to visit The Study. We started staying there from the day it opened. We stay at least once a month, sometimes more. The staff is amazing. They always welcome us back and, if possible, give us the same type of room with our preferred view. The hotel is well located. It is so clean and peaceful. We love the bar and especially Rob. Anthony, the Manager, is so attentive.

Room Tip: high floor, view of campus.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank barbboston
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Very nice hotel. It was so convenient to campus. The staff was great. We needed a vase for flowers and immediately it was brought to our room. The parking attendents were quick and responsive. It was a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family