“My favorite New Haven hotel”

Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Boston
“My favorite New Haven hotel”
Reviewed July 2, 2006

I stayed three nights at the Omni New Haven hotel when I was doing some work for Yale New Haven Hospital. I found every staff member helpful and proactive. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. The desk and armoir were definately dated and a little worn, and the wall where the window was could have used a paint job, but these did not distract me from being comfortable.

The provided wireless internet that worked well, in both the room and the lobby.

While I was there, there was some kind of 8th grade prom, or some similar kind of event, with a large number of elegantly dressed teenagers everywhere one evening. The hotel mananged this group wonderfully, and even though they were at one point filling the lobby, they were never "in the way". The staff were ensuring that guests were able to move through the lobby and into the elevators unheeded.

The hotel has a great (for a hotel) fitness center with free weights and weight machines. They deliver the breakfast drinks of your choice to the room in the morning, and it's complementary if you are a Select Guest. I found the service above average without being imposing.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank fenwayman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
Alabama
Reviewed May 31, 2006

We stayed at the Omni in June (we also stayed here last June). New Haven can be a rough city, but the minute you walk into the lobby you feel like your in a luxury hotel! From the bellman to the resturant staff we were never disappointed. The hotel was great last year and again this year. We especially loved the resturant on the 19th floor. Great views, great service, great food and a friendly staff (we even remembered them from last year!) The hotel has free internet (wireless) access so am not sure why previous feedback complained about internet-also there is a business center if you do not have a computer! I will definately stay here again. One observation: last year I had a regular room and they are quite small (but nice), this year I was upgraded (become a select guest-It is well worth it) and had a great view-larger room. I frequently get coupons, special offers-I've stayed at several Omni's and they are all fabulous!

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank LMBurgoon
Springfield, IL
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I stayed three nights at the Omni. My view was great, looking out at the Green and Yale. The desk clerk even came up and brought my bags down because I had to leave before the bellmen came on duty at 6:00 am.

However, the entire non-smoking floor (11) and my room smelled like my father's nursing home. Room decor was rather tired. Water pressure was low, even following the directions.

I had stayed at the Omni in Chicago last month and it was fabulous. In the future I'll stay at the Courtyard Marriott in New Haven. Not a great hotel, but close to campus and much cheaper.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank triandtrue
New York, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2006

This hotel is possibly one of the worst that I have ever stayed at, and how it got its four star rating is beyond me. The rooms are old and washed up, as well as very cramped. The staff, with the exception of one woman at the front desk, is unfriendly, aloof, and not at all helpful. On the hotel's website, the lobby, rooms, and function areas are all spacious and beautiful. Having experienced all three over the course of a four-day stay and conference there, I can assue you that this is not the case for any of them.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank jbs1114
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2005

My wife and I went to Connecticut as a Christmas present to one another. Over the summer, we stayed at Omni Shoreham Hotel in D.C. for our anniversary and enjoyed ourselves very much so we felt we'd give the New Haven one a shot. It did not disappoint. I had a coupon for a complimentary upgrade so we received a Business Corner Room.

I signed up to be a Select Guest and it certainly has its perks. Not only did I receive the coupon, but I was also able to log all of my preferences with the company prior to my arrival. Now, anytime I go to an Omni, they will know exactly the type of room, bed type, bedding and pillow preferences I like. Check-in was a snap. We arrived about two hours earlier than expected and the room was still ready.

The room was very clean and fully stocked with all the amenities necessary for a comfortable stay. We did have a couple very minor issues, but nothing to affect the trip. One of the wardrobe doors would not latch (something was wrong with the magnet) and the sink was a little slow in draining. Water pressure was not great in the shower, but I certainly understand the water conservation efforts.

The only issue I seem to have at Omni is Parking. Parking was $17.00 per night, which I don't have a problem with being we were in a city, but the Front Desk programs your room key card to get in and out of the garage and puts the charges on your hotel portfolio. This a great idea (much better than Omni Shoreham's system), but the key card never worked in the garage. Each and every time (even after getting it reprogrammed by the Front Desk, it faile dto open the gate and I had to see a parking attendant who had to verify I was staying in the hotel. Minor inconvenience, but for $17.00 it should run a little more smoothly. I did see one other hotel guest experiencing the same problem with her card, so perhaps it was the reader.

The hotel was a $6.00 cab ride to Union Station, which was very nice as we were taking the train in to NYC for the day. Directions to and from the hotel were easy to follow as well.

Staff was always friendly and made the extra effort to use my name during each encounter. Oh, I almost forgot. We LOVE the complimentary beverages in the morning. What a great start to the day!

It was indeed a great Christmas getaway for my wife and me. We definitely plan on using the Omni Hotel chain anytime we visit a city that has one.

Thanks!

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2005

The Omni is almost completely without character, but it's comfortable and well-located. It's probably the best place to stay in New Haven, and the views can be very nice, depending on how high up you are, and whether you're facing Yale or the rest of New Haven.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank James R
Boston area
Reviewed November 20, 2005

One-night stay last week (Nov, 2005). Rooms are tired, price was high, and NO HIGHSPEED Internet.

On the plus side, the check-in was totally smooth, checkout was painless, rooms are clean, and staff are professional. It's a good location relative to the train station (although still a cab ride after dark, given its neighborhood).

Alternative might be the Marriott Courtyard property up the street.

Best of luck on this one!

2 Thank gill052