“Diamond in the rough”

Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I am a seasoned business travelor and recently stayed at the Omni in New Haven, Ct.
The Omni in New Haven is in a great location. I think it is overpriced, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices in New Haven.

I did have a very bad experience with housekeeping and management made it even worse by trying to put the problem on me. Housekeeping enetered my room at 9:30 am after two quick knocks. They woke me up after a late travel night. When I called and asked why she entered my room I was told that it is common practice to start checking rooms before 11 am check out and I should have put the do not distrub sign out. Really?....this is my problem? I purchased that room from 3pm to 11am. It is up to the hotel to figure out the best time to enter my room, not mine.

Other details a hotel of this price class should be refining is the quality of the food at the "Bar 19" resaurant. I had a $30 steak which was, at best, family-style restaurant quality. There are better places to eat in New haven for that money. The mattress had a horrible sink on one side, probably from over use. It was also way too soft. I am used to a top tier mattress at a hotel of this price. I also rented a new movie for $20 and the entire viewing was peppered with pixelated images and interruptions to the sound.

Overall, it was a disappointing experience and I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roadwarrior378
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to read about your recent experience at our hotel. We have noted your comments regarding the associate early entry to the room and would like to apologize for these disruptions. We know how frustrating and disappointing it can be when you have a few minutes to relax and your expectations are not met. The state of the mattress is also being looked at in order to correct any issues. In addition, Our Director of Food & Beverage is giving the menu of Bar 19 immediate attention. Our Executive Chef is currently reviewing the menu that is in place and conducting additional training to our line cooks in order to better the quality and presentation of our offerings. Your feedback is valuable to us for making improvements to our service and we hope you will reconsider a future stay with us so we may have the opportunity to provide you with a stay that meets all of your expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,540)

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Another Yale reunion, another stay at the Omni. It's well located for all Yale activities. The rooms are fine -- corporate feeling, but clean. I had a view over a parking garage, but beyond it I could see some of the New Haven skyline.

The hotel is used for receptions and corporate functions. A bunch of prom kids were there during one of the nights I stayed. But it doesn't feel like a massive hotel, so these events are not disruptive. There are earplugs on the bedside table, which made me feel uneasy at first. Was the noise level so high that the management felt everyone had to be given earplugs? But luckily I had nothing to complain about.

They still charge for wifi, which I complained about the last time I stayed here five years ago. But I was able to avoid the charge by signing on to their loyalty program.

Oddly, the timer on the bathroom light was broken -- just like five years ago! These reunions are beginning to feel more like groundhog day!

New Haven, though, has improved tremendously since last I saw it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SkyeTraveler
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I live in the New haven area and never had an opportunity to stay overnight at the Omni. I have been at the hotel numerous times for ballroom type events and sometimes for dinner. My son recently got married at Yale and we blocked out dozens of rooms for guests to stay overnight
(the reception was not at the Omni). We stayed in one of their suites (not that more expensive than the regular rooms). The rooms were fresh, clean and nicely appointed. All the staff that we met from check-in to parking were pleasant. We hosted a buffet breakfast the next morning for about 50 people. Again, the staff were really nice with the manager personally introducing himself and letting me know if I needed anything to let him know. That buffet never went down in regard to the food. It was constatntly replenished, even to the end. What a nice surrprise that was. I was impressed. Overall. we were very happy with the hotel.

Room Tip: The suites are large and not that more expensive than the regular rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for allowing us to host your family and your out of town guests for your son's wedding weekend. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful experience and we truly appreciate your generous recommendation of our hotel.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I arrived at my room at 5p with Champagne and Strawberries awaiting me in my room. After a long trip into town on business on the Vermonter. Everything was pretty much perfect on my arrival and the staff members I encounter were great. I checked in -- in a breeze. My view was great.

Only to think in less than 12 hours I would need to be at the airport. I could not wait to jump into the this king size bed put only after dinner upstairs on 19 (separate review).

I would have given this establishment 5 stars, however when I called the hospitality line for assistance twice no one answered the line after I let the line ring for more than 30 seconds.
All I needed was toothpaste.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dMoniqueRenee
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Service was amazing friendly and excellent. Rooms are average but location is hard to beat for Yale activities. We found this a very convenient location where everything is walkable (Yale, restaurants, etc.).

Room Tip: Get a view on the Yale side
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I'm not usually a fan of the Omni chain, but this hotel seemed alright. I got in really late (midnight) and the front desk staff was attentive and friendly. I also asked for a late checkout that they gave me without any hesitation.

Overall, the room layout that i had was pretty strange. I was on the SE side and on the 6th floor, so the view was decent. Room was clean and bed was quite comfortable. But the bathroom fixtures were really low. The room had some earplugs on the nightstand, but there was zero road noise that I heard.

The gym is actually accessible 24/7 which is very nice. There is a decent amount of equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, and free weights - and and it is all in working order. One note, the roof is pretty low so while on the elliptical, i was about 2-3 inches away from the ceiling.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for reviewing the Omni New Haven. We are delighted that you received a warm welcome upon your arrive and we appreciate all of your comments. If you return to New Haven, we hope you will once again consider us for your accommodations.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Omni is a "Yale Hotel" meaning it's very close to the school's campus and is generally used by alumni coming back for reunions, parents coming to visit their children, etc. The location is very convenient for most parts of campus and the lobby and common areas are nice. The rooms are okay (not great, but not bad either) and the service is average as well. Parking can be a challenge in New Haven so being able to park right under the hotel for $20/day is pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Duncan Hotel
Duncan Hotel
#6 of 12 in New Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale? Share your experiences!