“A Savior”

Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We, as were many other people, were affected by Hurricane Sandy. Our power was lost and house was getting cold, so we decided to go to the Omni in New Haven. Man, was that place heaven! The staff were very accommodating and friendly. The rooms were just what we needed, warm beds and electrical outlets! The rooms and all the public areas were very clean. The location is another plus here, right in the heart of Downtown New Haven! I would personally like to thank the Omni for having us stay there, and I recommend them to anyone who wants a great hotel with friendly staff in Southern CT!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

We are grateful for your kind review and are delighted that we could provide you with the comforts of home following Hurricane Sandy. Thank you for recommending the Omni New Haven at Yale on TripAdvisor and we hope for a future opportunity to serve you.

There are newer reviews for Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Booked Omni to spend a day or two at Yale giving a presentation. The hotel is wonderfully situated and within easy walking distance from the old campus. I was surprised to find a hotel in a university town where you still have to pay for the internet! Apparently it still is the norm in the higher star hotels like the Omni (a good reason to downscale!!).

The room was great and the sleep very comfortable - a perfect room.

The restaurant was another matter. A very friendly lady at reception welcomed me, I received a menu (but optioned for the buffet - an interesting one). That was the last of the service except for a fast bill delivery when I started gathering my things. No service at all - no coffee refills. Nothing. Just constant azrgueing in the kitchen and wispering in small clusters in the dining room.

The whole experience worth it for the views from the restaurant on the top floor

Room Tip: On the old campus side, high up
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate all of your comments and regret to read about your experience in our restaurant. We will share your feedback with our restaurant manager and hope it will not prevent you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were guests on 11/14/12. We invited an elderly 90 yr old woman to join us in the Omni's upscale restaurant at the top of the hotel (nice views of the city/campus) for dinner. We're in our late 60's and I walk with a cane because of nerve injury. The restaurant was nicely decorated, seating comfortable, and the food very good (a little expensive for New Haven but the convenience and lack of "fine dining" in New Haven is a good reason to go there for a nice meal). We had an excellent waitress. As we were approaching the finish of our main course and awaiting order of dessert/coffee I noticed a "strobe light" on my husband's forehead. He didn't seem to mind but after abt 5-8 minutes I asked him if he was bothered by the light. He said he noticed it but it wasn't bothering him. A minute or so later we were told there was a fire alarm, it was serious, & the hotel had to be evacuated. As the wait staffer was telling us to immediately leave, a recording came over the speaker system telling everyone to evacuate and NOT use the elevators. O.K., except it was 19 stories down to the ground! 19 STORIES! Well, slowly, slowly stopping to rest (remember I'm the 66 yr old w/cane and have a 90 yr old in "sensible heels" as my "wing man") was the mantra. My husband got off the stairwell at our floor to get my medicine and we kept on. Thank goodness there was still lighting. The stairwell floor didn't seem to have the best of grips for shoes so it was difficult. We watched everyone go by us and 2 guests and one nice young man who looked like a kitchen staffer asked if we needed help but we didn't want to slow down others and thought perhaps trained hotel or fireman would eventually assist. It was not easy and also stressful watching everyone pass by so quickly. When we got to the ground floor we finally saw a front desk clerk in an emergency vest asking abt us but at that pt all we needed was water and a bench which we sat on outside the entrance. All the other guests, staff and yes, NH firemen, were on the opposite side of the street watching. A fireman asked if we needed assistance. A little late, I'd say and I think the fire department has to rethink it's procedures too. There was no fire, it was a system error. We went back to our room to "quiet the nerves", hearts and ice some pain. Shortly thereafter the restaurant manager called to "apologize" and offer us a no charge on our appetizers or to send down dessert. Nice, but really we'd gone down 19 stories and couldn't enjoy any further eating. I expect to pay for what I've ordered and eaten but in retropspect he should have offered a little something more like offering our elderly visitor a future meal or spa visit for her sore legs. (I did tell him she was a 90 yr old and I a cripple!) Clearly the procedures need to be improved so that if you see elderly/handicapped you go to those guests immediately and help them out of the danger zone while elevators are working and especially if they aren't in operation. It seems there should also be emergency back up lighting of some kind on stairwells and a better paint/finish for improved grip on stairs. Maybe there's a way a staff member on each floor knows if he sees a vest at each designated floor he's "the stairwell helper".. At the least, it would seem the hotel staff who knew we were trying to navigate 19 stories, should have let the firemen know so they could come up the stairwell. Truly if it had been dark I think we would have fallen and risked serious consequence. The following morning we had to leave and I called our relative and she was "O.K." ...she's a trooper and I wasn't sure if she was stoic so as not to worry us on our travel day. I left the hotel in a pain that morning. Because we'd be in transit and not able to check on our relative, I asked the front desk to place a call later in the day to check on her and while the woman took the phone number and said "gladly" she didn't. Fortunately our relative resides in a senior retirement complex so she had people who checked on her. The hotel really disappointed us. The bottom line is, you should feel like if there's an emergency there is a better system to help elderly and handicapped people down stairwells and the whole attitude that "comping" some appetizers or doing as little as possible really doesn't show much concern. Come on..we won't be back but the little old lady who went down 19 stories should at least be offered a spa visit for her sore legs! If i were to stay there again (rooms very clean but bathrooms small, furniture a little down on it's heels) I'd definitely avoid higher levels, avoid eating on the 19th floor unless you're in physically great shape and don't expect much follow up from their system for those who just might need it .

Room Tip: Room 911 has very loud air vent noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katharinepacific
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for allowing us to read about your experience on TripAdvisor. Although we regret that you weren't satisfied with the way the fire alarm was handled we would like to assure you and all guests that safety is our number one priority. The hotel’s fire response system worked as it is intended and as fire department officials have directed. We hope this won't prevent you from staying with us in the future as we would appreciate the opportunity to provide you with a great stay.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

i am not sure whats the difference between an econolodge and and Omni, maybe its the location the place is in, which in New Haven is qúite good and you can walk to Yale in 10 minutes.

Otherwise, its abit more plush rooms, but again, nothing remarkable to justify a 100% markup!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We are sorry to read that your stay at our hotel fell short of your expectations. As a luxury hotel we provide ourselves on providing high quality service and amenities. We regret that you felt as if we missed the mark and would welcome any additional suggestions that you have for improvements. Thank you for allowing us to read about your stay and we hope for a future opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights when we didn't have power at home because of the storm. It turned into a minivaction! I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the updating they did in the rooms. We had a corner room on the 10th floor and it was very quiet even though the hotel was sold out. Comfortable beds, free wifi, fitness center, and nice restaurant, make this a good place to go for a weekend getaway. The location in the heart of downtown New Haven is good too for exploring the nightlife.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for allowing us to be your home away from home after Hurricane Sandy. It was our pleasure to provide you with a comfortable place to stay until you power returned and we appreciate your kind words on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family and I just spent five nights at the Omni Hotel New Haven after we lost power and water do to Superstorm Sandy. The staff made us so comfortable and treated the kids so nicely. I will never forget the kindness. The room was not huge, but well-appointed. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast buffet is excellent. But, it is really the staff that makes this hotel nice. Every single person we encountered was wonderful at thus very well run hotel. It may not be the hippest place I've ever stayed, but it is certainly the friendliest.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 17JAC17

We are grateful for your complimentary feedback of our associates at the Omni New Haven at Yale. We know that the effects of Hurricane Sandy were hard on many people and we are glad we could provide a comfortable place for you and others to reside until you could return home. Thank you for allowing us to have you as our guest and we hope for a future opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night here with our 4 children and I have stayed before on my own as well. I love everything about this hotel. The location is superb for New Haven/Yale, restaurants, campus, art gallery and theatres. The attending staff are amazingly friendly and attentive, making even our children feel like important clientele, they received welcome packs upon check-in and then cookies and milk in the adjoining rooms we had booked. The rooms are well-stocked with toiletries, robes and such. Decor is on point, if a little worn, but not tacky. I would describe it as executive-casual, with collegiate touches. The showers have great water pressure. And even after our check-in, staff were calling and circulating to be sure that we had all that we needed, including complimentary water bottles.
We will stay here again and certainly seek out other Omni properties when we travel elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you cannot get a suite, adjoining rooms here work very well for families with children, just mean...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

We are delighted to read that you family has had such wonderful experiences at the Omni New Haven at Yale. We look forward to welcoming you back for future visits!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Haven
Duncan Hotel
Duncan Hotel
#6 of 12 in New Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites New Haven - South - West Haven

Been to Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale? Share your experiences!