“Cheese cheese and more cheese”
Review of Caseus

Caseus
Ranked #11 of 575 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very nicely done concept. Cheese store and restaurant. Menu focuses on items with, you guessed it, cheese ingredients. The food is great. The atmosphere is OK. Outdoor seating is nice on a nice summer day for a cheese plate and a glass of wine. Downstairs more dark wood feel, which is nice on a cold winter day when you crave soup and a grilled cheese sandwich as comfort food. Sort of on the edge of downtown but walkable and there is parking right across the street.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We got the grilled cheese and cold tomato soup off the cheese truck at the Wooster Square farmers market and it was easily the best grilled cheese we ever had. I hope they open a restaurant near us in NYC. The grilled cheese was $5, so it was reasonably priced too!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

On my business trip to New haven, I stopped by to get a quick dinner before heading out of town to my hotel north of town. I ordered a chopped salad with cheese and a Quebecois poutine dish mixed in with some sausage that was made to order on a variation of two separate dishes. The salad was out of this world, but the poutine veloute (gravy sauce) had no taste and this was the disappointment. Other than that the service was top notch and the menu is unique and locally sourced which is a good thing. I do plan on coming back and trying another dish and hopefully have a better things to say about my next meal!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is one of those restaurants that you go to time and time again. Not only to try your favorites but the food is so unbelievably good you are willing to try things you previously have disliked. The main stay that you HAVE to eat here is their signature macaroni and cheese...this is not your childhood favorite but a sanguine initiation into adult fine dining. The flavors are remarkable and I even took one to go fro lunch the following day which reheated wonderfully. I like the fact that thye do not do take out service so the primary focus is on the in restaurant diner. The service is flawless and you can tell the servers not only eat the food but enjoy it as well. The last time we were there we had the signature mac and cheese and I had a warm,perfectly cooked, duck over quinoa and first of the season strawberries. It was perfection. We also had the warm bananas and nutella with warm baked bread and a bottle of wine. The atmosphere is great, we chose to stay outside on the sidewalk seating...it allowed us to drop money in the meter for the car as was needed. They were also generous enough to break a bill and providede us with change for the meter. They have quite an extensive eclectic wine and beverage list and I was pleasatly surprised to find a few european flavors. I love this place because the menu changes yet has the stand by staples, the service is fantastic, and the atmosphere great weather you are at the bar , outside on the deck, or down below. You should also check out their cheese section which is only rivaled by Whole Foods. This place is the total package and a great place for a first date or 90 th.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I dined at Caseus last Wednesday night with a colleague as we were on business at Yale. I always try to use Tripadvisor when I can to find decent restaurants and I am glad in this case I did. The menu is wide ranging with daily specials with a focus, obviously on cheese. I had the mussels with merguez sausage which came with a large portion of very good fries. The mussel bowl was huge and the sausage really added to the flavour of the sauce. My companion had the halibut which again was a large portion with mixed legumes. The service during the meal was good but when we wanted to order a taxi they basically told us to do it ourselves. When we told them we were from the UK they did but didn't follow it through. Ok, we could have walked but we were both exhausted. We asked again when it was past its due time and they just shrugged their shoulders and said they sometimes don't turn up. In the end we walked back to our hotel.