“Dinosaur Heaven and so much more”

Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
Ranked #3 of 59 things to do in New Haven
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum has a diverse collection ranging from Indian artifacts to Egyptian art to a large bird collection.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The best thing about this museum is the fact that it is able and willing to add new or updated information to its exhibits. The store is an excellent source of informative gifts. I love this place: it is worth many visits.

There are newer reviews for Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This was a great way for our whole family to spend an afternoon! Even the baby loved it. There were lots of interesting things to see including the biggest collection of dinosaurs I have ever seen.
There were lots of hands on activities for our 2 year old grandson as well. There were also a lot
of interesting facts displayed above everything. The Homo sapiens exhibit was the most interesting area for me.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Peabody has great exhibits. They have most of it, but some of the other topics are left out. However, they have covered most of the topics, which is fine by me. I do love the dinos

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I haven't been to the Peabody since my kids were small, when the dinosaurs and dioramas were a returning feature in our lives. I has a pleasantly nostalgic moment when I saw young families building their own memories there. (We used a reduced-fee pass from our local public library for admission.)

We went to see the Echoes of Egypt exhibit, which was very good. The dim lighting (required to preserve the artifacts, especially the papyrus) did make it a little difficult to read the information, but it was achievable. We also enjoyed the rocks and minerals exhibit and were amazed to find meteorites from Mercury, the Moon, and Mars there.

The museum has put in lots of interactive stations and both adults and children seemed to gravitate towards them. There is also a children's "discovery room" that seemed to be a lot of fun. It was also interesting to learn about some of the "backstory" of some of the displays, such as the negotiations Yale has had about returning artifacts from Machu Picchu to Peru, for example.

Very nice gift shop and accessible bathrooms. There is no café on site, but there are several restaurants about a block away. Parking is conveniently located in a lot next to the museum or on the street.

2  Thank therese l
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Peabody is a great museum for kids and adults alike. We have been visiting since we were children and now we bring our own children. There are wonderful interactive exhibits and the special exhibits are also very interesting and likely to be interactive. The permanent collection is wonderful and there are often high school students showing children parts of exhibits they can touch and feel and learn a little more in depth. This is a wonderful place.