“Great dinosaur museum, Egyptian exhibit lacking”

Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
Ranked #2 of 57 things to do in New Haven
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum has a diverse collection ranging from Indian artifacts to Egyptian art to a large bird collection.
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great dinosaur museum, Egyptian exhibit lacking”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been to the Yale Peabody when my kids were younger and we all really enjoyed the permanent dinosaur collection. It is small enough that you can view the entire collection and not feel overwhelmed, but large enough that you really feel like you have seen quite a bit of material. Having said that, I went to see the special Egyptian collection and I have to say that it was really lacking. It is quite small and underwhelming and appear that the majority of this special collection has been taken from the permanent collection from the 3rd floor and pieces not enough authentic from ancient Egypt.
If you go during the week, there is a limited amount of parking, however, on the weekends, they open up more of the lots, so there is much more parking. I would say that this is a great museum overall, but the special collections need some updating.

• Korean first
  • Thai first
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Lots of fun, specially for kids”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I went to the Peabody museum in August and it was very amusing. Their dinosaur colection is great. It's a great place for kids, they have lots of activities for the little ones and museum's guides to explain them a little bit of history and nature. They have a Egypt exposition going on, great material and the most helpful guides to show it to you. Well, I don't have any kids of my own and I wen't with a couple of grown up friends and we had a good time to. Great place in New Haven. I would definetely recommend it!

Sandy Hook, Connecticut
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Jewel in New Haven, CT”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This museum, in my opinion, rivals Museum of Natural History in NYC. Easy to get to in downtown New Haven, CT. There is adequate free parking adjacent to the museum. Impressive stone building. Dinosaur rooms are currently being remodeled, check with the museum for completion date. Extensive gem and mineral exhibits. There is a nominal entrance charge, but I believe it is free on Thursday. You name it they have it; birds, insects, mammals, everthing. Well worth the trip.

Visited November 2012
Vernon, Connecticut
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“BEST DINOSAUR EXHIBIT EVER”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is one of the better museums I have been to. Definitely use the audioguide, the museum would not have been as interesting without it and it allows you to go into more in depth information regarding some of the exhibits. I found the most comprehensive and interesting exhibits to be the temporary Egypt one and the birds and also the dinosaur hall is absolutely incredible. We went on a Tuesday afternoon and it was nice and quiet with only one camp group. I also like that there seemed to be quite a bit of staff throughout that were eager to answer your questions. There is museum parking to the side of the museum for three dollars which I wish we would have known about as we shuffled around the car for change for the meter. Definitely a place to visit with or without the kids.

Visited July 2013
New Haven, CT
6 attraction reviews
“Come visit Egypt”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Come see the exhibit Echoes of Egypt - a wonderful exhibit featuring artifacts from ancient Egypt and the reinterpretation of them throughout the centuries (the echoes). The exhibit will be at the Peabody until Jan 4, 2014, and is well worth a visit. How long will it take - as short as 15 minutes (a walk-through) or 2 hours - examining everything. And when you finish the exhibit, head up to the 3rd floor and the museum's permanent Egyptian exhibit.
I've been there every Friday since June - and will be there until it leaves - and every week I seem to discover something new.