“WASN'T ALLOWED TO ENTER”

Yale Center for British Art
Ranked #5 of 61 things to do in New Haven
More attraction details
Owner description: Note: The Center is temporarily closed for building conservation through February 2016. We apologize for any inconvenience. The Yale Center for British Art is a public art museum and world-renowned research institute. Presented to Yale University by Paul Mellon (Yale College Class of 1929), the Center houses the largest collection of British art outside the United Kingdom. The collection of paintings, sculpture, prints, drawings, rare books, and manuscripts reflects the development of British art and life from the Elizabethan period to the present day. Works on view include masterpieces by Thomas Gainsborough, J.M.W. Turner, and John Constable, as well as artists from Europe and America who lived and worked in Britain. Perhaps its greatest treasure is the building itself, a masterpiece of modern architecture designed by architect Louis I. Kahn. Located in downtown New Haven, the Center is near many of the city's best restaurants, theaters, and shops.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had a small shoulder bag and the entry man asked me to hand it over and not take it into the gallery. As I could not lock it I refused and asked him whether he would request ladies to hand over their handbags. Since I was not prepared to leave all my cards, cash with him I had to exit this gallery. Ironically, the Yale Art Gallery opposite had no such security obstacles and I was able to enter with no such problems.

1  Thank dipex
YaleBritishArt, Guest Relations Manager at Yale Center for British Art, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

We are sorry you felt you had a negative experience at the Center. It might help if we clarified our policies, which are similar to those of many other museums. The Center requires that all shopping bags and any other bags (including handbags) larger than 11” x 14” be checked at the front desk with our security officers. While the bags are minded at all times by trained security, visitors are more than welcome to remove any items of value. This policy is applied to all visitors. There is no charge to check belongings, and admission to the museum is free. We appreciate everyone’s help in following our security policies, which are in place to serve all our visitors.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Okay I have to say the 4 floor was impressive and well worth the trip and price (free/donation), but the 1980's collection appeared to be stuff failed art students couldn't take of the plane home when they where booted out. Seriously just cause their is huge canvas it isn't art! Looks like they where done by first grader taking art for an easy A.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

What a beautiful art gallery. Friendly staff, many children's programs & wonderful art to view. I have taken many teacher's courses here & find it an amazing place to visit.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

by far the best art in the Yale community-- go there, don't miss it--and it's free. (I need more characters, mr review is too short-- permanent collection si outstadning.)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Light and airy space. Great Selection of British Art donated by the Mellon Family. Great gift shop too. There are docent led tours.