“Such a fun way to end a long weekend”

Farmington River Tubing
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday my boyfriend and I went to Farmington river tubing for a nice float down. Was a little crowded but with the heat and long holiday weekend that was to be expected. You sign a release, pay 20 per person (18 on the weekdays), you get a PFD and a tube, listen to a safety brief, and down to the river you go! We had a blast, the river flows through wooded areas, with rock faces That jut out. There are rapids that can flip you and rocks that can bruise you (refer to their website)! At the end, you and your tube are loaded into a modified school bus an taken back to the start point. If you want to go again on the same day it's only 10 bucks. Call in the day you plan to go- river and weather conditions effect times and days of operation.
Will be going again!

1  Thank travelin_sub

Reviewed May 26, 2013

There is a good mix of lazing along and heading through some rapids. The put-in starts with several riffles right off the bat that are a little unnerving because you're just starting out. The main stretch of larger rapids is pretty short, but you can run them multiple times by walking back up a rock bed to the left side of the river as you head downstream. Generally OK for kids if they're decent swimmers, but I have seen many people of all ages flip over so wear the life jacket and stay close. Check water levels before you go. If it's been dry for several weeks in a row, the rapids aren't as fun. You can run on your own if you want to and arrange a pick-up, but if you do, wear the safety vest.

1  Thank Booha
Reviewed August 19, 2012

For $20 you rent a tube and they drive you to and from the start/end point. There are some rapids in some sections of the river. The first time I went I did fall out of my tube going thru some rapids so I make sure I buddy up w/ someone!!! :) If you want to ride it again, it costs another $10. But it's really nice and relaxing to do on a summer day. The ride lasts a good 3 hours depending on the river conditions.

1  Thank mzee569
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I went with a group of 7 friends and enjoyed the experience, but I'm sure it's much more fun in a non-drought year. The business owners make participants sign a waiver stating that we'll follow the safety rules -- all of which make sense, but are difficult to follow when the water level is at a historic low. You're not supposed to stand up in the river, as the rocks are slippery, but the vast majority of us walked our tubes down the river at least once; had we not done so, we would've been out there the entire day waiting for the nearly nonexistent current to carry us. It was either that or paddle like a mad person for hours -- a lot of us did that also, and it was exhausting. The best advice our friend gave us when organizing the trip was to wear a long-sleeved shirt to keep from getting "rug burn" when our arms rubbed against the tubes while we paddled.

Other bits of advice: be careful when tubing on days when rain is forecast, as it's easy to get chilled when the temperature drops from 92F to 72F. If you have Tevas or other good water shoes, wear them -- I wore an old pair of flip-plops, and although they protected my soles, they were too easy to lose in whirlpools, and they were trashed by the end of the float. Bring a change of clothes to leave in your car. If you want to have a picnic, bring your own blanket or portable table -- the owners got rid of the picnic tables because customers were vandalizing them and leaving trash on site. And if you sit on the ground, be very careful to check for ticks when you leave -- a member of our group found 3 deer ticks on her lunch container when she got up.

I'd do this again when the water's at a more normal level, and I'd follow all of the advice above!

2  Thank springbyker
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This place is a bit out of the way from everything, but definitely worth a day trip from anywhere in Connecticut. For $20, you get a good afternoon of fun. They say it lasts two hours, but you can stretch it out. We were there for four hours. Make sure to get the right sized tube -- I saw everyone grabbing blue tubes and only after the river run did I realize I grabbed the wrong size. I suggest holding tubes with someone else. You can easily get caught in the trees. You also have to pay attention or you can really injure yourselves on the rocks along the river. I say the experience is a little long because the rapids are the highlight and they only last a fraction of the overall float time. Otherwise, it's just a float trip. The float trip would be more relaxing, were it not for the large groups of rowdy college kids we experienced drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and throwing their litter in the water. That being said, though, you should still check it out -- but wear TONS of sunscreen!

2  Thank ebbie1081