“Wonderful lunch”
Review of Chef Luis

Chef Luis
Reserve with OpenTable
Chef Luis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 64 Restaurants in New Canaan
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A "solid place for adult dining", this "unpretentious" storefront in New Canaan is the showcase for Guatemalan chef-owner Luis Lopez's "creative", Latin- and Med-accented New American fare
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We happened onto this place by chance, looking for a bite to eat for lunch prior to a tour of the nearby Philip Johnson Glass House. The place was doing a brisk business when we arrived, which is always a good clue that it must be okay. Well, in our opinion, it was much better than okay. It was a highlight of the day. The wine list is great, with several options for wine by the glass. I was offered the opportunity to taste a wine before committing to purchasing a whole glass - nice touch. The menu is eclectic. It was hard to choose because there were so many enticing choices. The companion settled on the Cubano sandwich, which he loved. I ordered the Picadilla salad with grilled chicken. Everything about that salad was perfect. Service was efficient and friendly. If ever in the New Canaan area again, I'd happily return here.

There are newer reviews for Chef Luis

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Chef Luis New Canaan is a place we go to often and for good reason. Something for everyone on this menu. Excellent dishes presented beautifully. Service is friendly and attentive. We recommend the tacos choice of fish,chicken, or steak that has been marinated and is incredibly tender. Great appetizers like tuna tartare, an unbelievable calamari, and a fabulous burrata and tomato salad. Also on the menu are pastas, salads, a summer gazpacho, cerviche, salmon, halibut, and blackened tuna steak, chicken scarpierello, steak frites, and a great kids menu that can't be beat in New Canaan. If you haven't been to this place, it's a must on your list the next time you are in New Canaan on in the surrounding towns.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We took two visiting friends he refuse dinner on a Saturday night without reservations. The hostess seated us promptly then a waitress appeared who told us she would get us water but our waiter would be by to take our drink order. This supposed waiter acted as though we were a waste of his time and not a single time did he look at me. He served my daughter a spoonful of rice on a plate and my pasta was cold and bland. I guess he didn't care that I was the one who was paying since he continued to ignore my very existence. Not only that but he NEVER took our drink order. We had to call a bus boy to take it for us. When the bill finally arrived he thanked everyone else but me and the coincidence can not be that I was the only minority there. Unbeknownst to him I took three disadvantaged friends to this restaurant. I will never be back and thoroughly regret paying a tip. If I can't be respected at a subpar restaurant, all is wrong in the world.

2  Thank Aeronaut66523
Reviewed March 9, 2014

While serving beautifully prepared meals Chef Luis always comes out of the kitchen to greet his guests and makes everyone feel welcome in at home in his restaurant

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Wow, talk about a restaurant which needs a reality check on hospitality. We visited for a quick dinner at the bar before a movie and we were xpecting much more. First, the dinner menu is a rip off ($$$) for what the place should offer. The bartender has 0 personality, let me repeat that ZERO personality, if he is the owner, problem will never go away. OK, bar tacos were good, chicken was best flavor, followed by pork then fish and only reasons for tacos was you didn't feel like you were totally getting taken to the cleaners. Review would have been nicer with a touch but the bartender was so weak, I / we mean BAD, his Margarita gets an F. Ok, done.

1  Thank Paniolo11