“Gates Revisited, The Bar”
Review of Gates

Gates
Ranked #42 of 64 Restaurants in New Canaan
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2012

When I moved to New Canaan more than thirty years ago, going out for family dinner meant going to Stamford or Westport. We had no family restaurants in New Canaan. Then came Gates. While we now have a couple of dozen family restaurants in our little town, and two or three close a year., Gates is still here.

I confess that I have never been a fan. I find the dining room noisy to the point of discomfort, not to say, pain. So, this review is about the bar.

Speaking of the places that have closed, one was my favorite Sunday brunch place. I would have a Bloody Mary and eggs Benedict. When it closed, I started asking around but was disappointed to find that about the only place left that does Brunch is, you guessed it, Gates. A few Sundays ago, I wanted a Bloody so I went to the bar at gates.

The bar is quiet, roomy, and comfortable with a dozen seats at the bar and four or Good drinks, The bar menu is the same as the perennially popular and creative dining room menu. This "California" menu is really a "family" menu in the sense that kids like it and adults do not find it boring.

I recommend the Les Baud, Poached eggs served on a split muffin, salmon, and asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce. Now, those of you who would like this dish are aware of all the ways to screw it up. The muffin and the asparagus might be tough, the eggs over or undercooked, and the sauce plastic. However, this creative dish is well prepared and gracefully served.

At a family wedding I recently met the man who invented the marketing of tomatoes in a box. When I suggested that he had a lot to answer for, he apologized. He actually liked tomatoes. He protested that he could not possibly have predicted that putting them in a box would cause them to be beautiful, pulpy and tasteless.

I suppose that we have "fast food" to blame for the modern "french fry." You can imagine that I did not order potatoes with my eggs and almost did not try them when they garnished my dish. These were pomme frites, like one get in Brussels, not french fries. They are worth a visit to the Bar at Gates. Whether you like them European style with mayonaise, or American style with ketchup, you will like these. I sit at the bar and eat them like popcorn.

While there is outdoor dining in the neighborhood, Gates is dining room and bar. Reservations are accepted in the "kid friendly" dining room and the bar is first come, first served.
All popular credit cards are accepted.

1  Thank whmurray
There are newer reviews for Gates

Reviewed July 7, 2011

The old staples of the Gates menu remain but the new chef has added some new items and the food has improved. I have been going to Gates since it openend and always enjoy the food but it needed a revamp and it has paid off well. Very good food, consistent service and our second family kitchen. Very rarely have I had a meal that was poor.

4  Thank PMM12
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I have been to Gates many times over the years since I have several friends and family in the area. It is a cheerful place and I really like the colors and high ceilings of the dining room. Usually I go there for brunch on Sundays with kids in tow. There are many choices on their menu but I always get the Chop Chop Verona Salad or a made to order omelette and have been pleased pretty much every time. Probably my favorite thing there is their croissants served with strawberry butter. Hard not to fill up on them because they are so good. My kids like the hot dogs and burgers and most things on the kids menu. It is a busy place and not the quietest which is good for families because you know how kids can be! Prices for some things can be a bit more than other restaurants in the area but overall I like Gates and will continue to go back for many Sundays to come.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

We were visiting the Philip Johnson Glass House and asked the folks at the information center for a recommendation. They suggested Gates. The parking was a major challenge, on a weekday at 1:30 pm. I eventually angled our car into a narrow corner of a tiny lot. However, the ambiance, food, and service of Gates were all quite good. It was obviously locally popular with ladies doing lunch, couples, and business people. The noise was loud but we didn't find it excessive. We could still enjoy our own conversation without raising our voices to be heard. The decor was lively with colorful paintings on the walls and interesting planters. The service was very attentive. The butternut squash soup was yummy. Each of us had large interesting fall salads, mine came with pecans, cranberries, pear slices, fresh greens and grilled chicken. The pumpkin pie was spicey and good but I thought pricier than it should have been, the only thing that seemed overpriced. All in all, a good choice for a New Canaan visit.

Reviewed January 9, 2010

Friendly staff. Pat the bartender is terrific. Food is consistently good.