“Cheerful Atmosphere, Tasty Brunch & Kid Friendly”
Review of Gates

Gates
Ranked #42 of 64 Restaurants in New Canaan
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New Milford, Connecticut
“Cheerful Atmosphere, Tasty Brunch & Kid Friendly”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I have been to Gates many times over the years since I have several friends and family in the area. It is a cheerful place and I really like the colors and high ceilings of the dining room. Usually I go there for brunch on Sundays with kids in tow. There are many choices on their menu but I always get the Chop Chop Verona Salad or a made to order omelette and have been pleased pretty much every time. Probably my favorite thing there is their croissants served with strawberry butter. Hard not to fill up on them because they are so good. My kids like the hot dogs and burgers and most things on the kids menu. It is a busy place and not the quietest which is good for families because you know how kids can be! Prices for some things can be a bit more than other restaurants in the area but overall I like Gates and will continue to go back for many Sundays to come.

• Visited March 2011

Rochester, New York
“Good Choice”
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We were visiting the Philip Johnson Glass House and asked the folks at the information center for a recommendation. They suggested Gates. The parking was a major challenge, on a weekday at 1:30 pm. I eventually angled our car into a narrow corner of a tiny lot. However, the ambiance, food, and service of Gates were all quite good. It was obviously locally popular with ladies doing lunch, couples, and business people. The noise was loud but we didn't find it excessive. We could still enjoy our own conversation without raising our voices to be heard. The decor was lively with colorful paintings on the walls and interesting planters. The service was very attentive. The butternut squash soup was yummy. Each of us had large interesting fall salads, mine came with pecans, cranberries, pear slices, fresh greens and grilled chicken. The pumpkin pie was spicey and good but I thought pricier than it should have been, the only thing that seemed overpriced. All in all, a good choice for a New Canaan visit.

“Friendly staff. Pat the bartender is...”
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Friendly staff. Pat the bartender is terrific. Food is consistently good.

NYC
“If screaming children and so-so food is what you are looking for”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Have been to Gates several times (dragged there by children who love the chaos, I think) and just don't know why any adult would go there by choice, unless you are a lady who lunches while all the kids are in school and you want to eat the same thing every time you go there.

And parking is a blood sport, practically impossible most of the time.

It's mediocre - so many other great choices in town.

“a little too generic”