“Delicious food, cozy environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Picador - CLOSED

Picador
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Delicious food, cozy environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

We rarely dine out, but when friends were visiting from abroad we wanted to relax, enjoy their company, and let someone else cook! Picador was the perfect choice. My original plan to have our group enjoy endless tapas nibbling was thwarted - everyone just wanted their own main! - Nevermind... the food was scrumptious, well-prepared and graciously served. No fuss, very relaxed and enjoyable. And we didn't choke at the bill when we requested it...hours later. Incredibly, they have renewed my enjoyment of dining out: Good food (that you can't necessarily do better at home), served with enthusiasm and and non-intrusive grace. Thank you!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank ANNE H

Fairfield, Ct
“Cozy atmosphere - great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We've gone to Picador several times in the past few months and have never been disappointed. The small, cozy feel of the restaurant and the personal service make this a favorite place for us to go. Highly recommend the paella.

One tip: can get very crowded on the weekends, so we try to go more during the week.

Visited December 2013
New Canaan, CT USA
“New New Canaan Standard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

The first time I came to New Canaan, my host told me that residents of New Canaan went to Westport to dine.  In the nearly sixty intervening years, it did not get better fast.  However, in the last decade or so, things have been looking up.  Now just on the north side of one block of Elm Street, we have ten restaurants and cafés.

One of the newest of these is Picador at 15 Elm, a location that has housed restaurants and cafés in the past.  Ray Rivera, one of the partners and a friend of several years, invited me several times and several weeks before I got around to a visit.  My loss.

As the name suggests, the menu is Mediterranean with a Spanish flavor.  I tried the fried calamari with cherry peppers and onions from the appetizer menu and the sliders from the tapas menu.  I threatened the busman with the loss of a hand when he tried to remove the leftover peppers and onions that I ultimately put on my sliders.  The seared scallops from the tapas, mussels from appetizer, and Seafood Paella from the entradas menu are on my list for future visits.  I also plan to try the pasta carbonara from Picador's prix fixe "Express Lunch" menu.

Full bar service is provided as well as a wine list featuring some great Spanish values.

The decor is welcoming and comfortable.  Picador is small;  seating, counting the bar, Is limited to 32, intimate but not crowded.  Ambience is pleasant and quiet enough for comfortable conversation.

Reservations are accepted, walk-ins are welcome, and wait-times moderate.

Picador is a welcome addition to my list of New Canaan standards and I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Visited December 2013
Wilmette, Illinois
“New Canaan stand out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Have been here twice for lunch, both times with my friend from Spain (he is a huge fan of this restaurant). We ordered about 7 items off the menu from two visits and all were really delicious. We also had a nice and reasonably priced red wine. It is a very quaint atmosphere and the service is fantastic. You need to try this restaurant!

• Visited December 2013
Pound Ridge, New York
“Great addition to New Canaan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had an outstanding meal this past Saturday evening with some close friends. The setting is warm and inviting while the food does not disappoint. The fish was fresh and wonderfully prepared, the appetizers including the special Kumato and Mozzarella appetizer and the portabello mushroom were prepared wonderfully and beautifully plated. My husband indulged in the charcuterie special and raved over the cheeses and assortment of meats. The service was attentive and we did not feel rushed. What a great addition to the town. I should also mention that the wine list has some affordable, wonderful options.

• Visited November 2013