“I was never a fan of the International Style, until I saw this!”

The Philip Johnson Glass House
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was never a fan of the International Style, I always found it cold and removed and divorced from human experience, but if you see this building, you will change your mind. It is beautifully nestled in the woods, however alarmingly close to the road, and and seems to be one with nature and showcase nature at the same time. I particularly liked our guide, Chris, who made the experience come alive. We were on the extended tour, which gave us 2 1/2 hours of access to the House, the Painting gallery and the Sculpture gallery. The Brick House, which was the guest house, is closed awaiting renovation. It didn't look like it was going to be open anytime soon. The studio can only be visited on the architecture tour. This was a wonderful experience, one that all architecture fans would definitely enjoy.

All reviews
"across the street"
in 8 reviews
"surrounding landscape"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 3 reviews
"well worth the cost"
"grand central station"
"last fall"

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Incredibly interesting. Gives new meaning to the phrase 'those in glass houses'. Though, I don't think I could live there.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

It took me a while to get tickets as most weekends are sold out well in advance. The tour starts at the visitor center where you are picked up and shuttled to the location. All of the different buildings are extremely well maintained and left in its original state. Our tour-guide did a fantastic job in explaining all the different areas and how it got there. It was a pleasure listening to her. Best tour ever!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

This house is a masterpiece it truly is all glass and you feel like you're an integral part of the outdoors.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had this site on my list for a long time now and finally made it....well worthwhile for architecture buffs, which I am. New Canaan, CT is a rather easy trip from NYC---took the Metro North from Grand Central with a change of trains at Stamford. Round trip was $20.00. Took me just over an hour to get here and the train lets you off at the visitor's center which is across the street. I decided to take the 2-hour extended tour and my guide Laura, was amazing, knowledgeable and friendly. The tour includes the house, out buildings, art gallery and sculpture building. Since I love architecture, I loved the tour. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in modern archicture--well worth the price and effort to get here. The history of Philip Johnson's live and the other stories we heard on the tour made the adventure even more worthwhile.

1  Thank Michael K