“Superb Experience”

The Philip Johnson Glass House
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in New Canaan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

It took me a while to get tickets as most weekends are sold out well in advance. The tour starts at the visitor center where you are picked up and shuttled to the location. All of the different buildings are extremely well maintained and left in its original state. Our tour-guide did a fantastic job in explaining all the different areas and how it got there. It was a pleasure listening to her. Best tour ever!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

This house is a masterpiece it truly is all glass and you feel like you're an integral part of the outdoors.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had this site on my list for a long time now and finally made it....well worthwhile for architecture buffs, which I am. New Canaan, CT is a rather easy trip from NYC---took the Metro North from Grand Central with a change of trains at Stamford. Round trip was $20.00. Took me just over an hour to get here and the train lets you off at the visitor's center which is across the street. I decided to take the 2-hour extended tour and my guide Laura, was amazing, knowledgeable and friendly. The tour includes the house, out buildings, art gallery and sculpture building. Since I love architecture, I loved the tour. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in modern archicture--well worth the price and effort to get here. The history of Philip Johnson's live and the other stories we heard on the tour made the adventure even more worthwhile.

1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed July 20, 2012

A visit is expensive but it's worth it to see what an artist (architect) is capable of. Besides the main building there is a guest house, and art gallery, beautiful grounds. The visit is tightly controlled and you must be part of the visiting group, not able to go off on your own.

1  Thank 7MarthaF
Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you are in NYC and are an architecture buff and feel like making a wonderful day trip to CT to see Johnson's masterpiece you won't be dissapointed. You will need to make reservations/ticket purchases in advance and catch a train from Grand Central. The visitor's centre is across the street from the station in New Canaan and you can't miss it.

1  Thank TTTraveller76