“Celebration Event”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Holmewood Lane, New Canaan, CT 06840
Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

The Rotary Club of New Canaan hosted 120 guests for our 60th Anniversary Dinner at the newly remodeled Roger Sherman Inn. It was a smashing success!

The Roger Sherman has reinvented itself as a modern, bright venue for larger scale events and receptions - all while maintaining its historic charm as a quintessential New England Inn and Restaurant. The staff was attentive and the service prompt and unobtrusive. The food - quality, taste and presentation - was excellent. And the ambiance of the new dining room provided the perfect setting.

No matter what the reason for your visit, I highly recommend you stop at the new Roger Sherman Inn.

And if you are planning any event up to 200 guests, this is definitely the spot to put at the top of your list.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed December 7, 2018

Food was delicious, atmosphere was cozy and the staff was excellent. Highly recommend having your next gathering at one of New Canaan's treasures!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 28, 2018

Horrible, horrible experience at Thanksgiving dinner. Halfway through our meal, they decided to partition off half the dining room for a private event. This was done by a parade of workers carrying pre-fab sheet rock panels, ladders, and a construction crew with the sounds of nail guns and hammers punctuating our conversations. Yes, nail guns.
In the middle of Thanksgiving dinner, no less. Lots of moving tables and chairs as well.

Priceless were the rows of the astonished faces of the diners as we looked about the room. Dining room was near full capacity at this moment.

Confused wait staff. Coffee was brought out with no saucer. When we asked for the saucer the bus staff who served us claimed that they don't use saucers. (These weren't mugs b.t.w.) Five minutes later, the waitress asked why we were displeased with the coffee. We said we weren't displeased with the coffee. It was fine. Later it dawned on us that the bus staff didn't grasp the concept of saucers or understand what we were asking for and didn't convey that to our waitress.

As for dinner. $90 prix fixe. Turkey came with gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Nothing else. Sides were available for $9 extra. On top of prix fixe? That takes a lot of nerve. Neither the turkey or the one side I ordered (winter root vegetables) were worth it.

But wait, there's more. My wife checked into the women's room and found the floor littered with paper towels. She took the last paper towel that was available.

I had popped into the men's room earlier when suddenly a worker burst in behind me and yelled "Don't Flush! The toilet's clogged and somebody was supposed to be guarding the door. You weren't supposed to be in here." Well, where should I have been? I pity the poor fellow who was sitting in the stall. Minutes later, the same gentleman with the plunger was now brandishing a nail gun alongside the aforementioned construction crew that was putting up walls, moving furniture and setting up tables. Bon Appétit.

They included the tip on our bill. I'll be the judge of that, thank you. It was 18%. I would have given our waitress 20%. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and place the blame on management for not properly vetting or training the staff.

As we were leaving, my wife spoke to the manager who looked at her blankly.  When asked what her thoughts were, the manager said smugly  "I have an explanation but I don't think you want to hear it." No we don't. That's the one thing they got right. An apology would have been better.

No class. No couth. No cachet. No customers - at least not us.

Date of visit: November 2018
4  Thank IEATS
Reviewed November 6, 2018

Recently re-tried the Roger Sherman Inn for dinner on a Saturday night and really enjoyed it! We ate in the bar room with live music that wasn't too loud (our table was right next to it), and our party of 4 all enjoyed our appetizers and entrees. Will definitely be going back soon.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Sharon06840
Reviewed October 22, 2018

Great service. Food was mixed. Some of us liked what we ordered. Others thought it was bland and average. Worst part was that the noise level was so high, it was impossible to carry on a conversation.

Date of visit: October 2018