“Not the same.”

Red Roof Inn Hartford - New Britain
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Britain
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I have stayed at La Quinta Inn at other locations earlier and had a very good experience. This time I was disappointed as the property was quite run down and not well maintained, particularly the lobby and the corridors. The room was very nice and comfortable but the rest of the property left much to be desired. The service was not up to par either.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed at this La Quinta for four days in early 2010 and thought it was very nice so I booked it for 2 days on another business trip in May 2011. I has really gone down hill. The elevators where very dirty with the same spills on the floors the whole time I was there and the lobby looked extremely shabby. The carpets in the room were stained and the room, although cleaned, was not cleaned throughly. They were out of milk and creamer for coffee the first morning and the waffle maker was caked with dough both mornings because there was no non-stick spray to prime the griddle. The manager was indifferent as was the staff. What a shame.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Hootyj
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Very pleasant, efficient staff- very nice rooms. Also, if you like minoir league baseball, go when the Rock Cats are playing- a real fun night ( one mile away). A terrific, well stocked. Museaum of Amercian Art- a real gem!

Room Tip: Do reservations on line- if senior, check AAA
Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I wanted a place close to CCSU, preferably walking distance. LQ was only 1 of 2 listed by Tripadvisor in New Britain, so I took it, what a mistake.

Quite a few years ago I had stayed here, but have no memories or recollection, positive or negative.

Wish I had been willing to stay elsewhere and drive in to CCSU. When I walked from the parking lot toward the entrance, I was struck by the trash all around, cigarette butts, and clearly the area had not been swept or hosed down for days. Now it needs a pressure washer. Checked in, desk clerk cold, unfriendly, of few words, almost mono-syllabic, "credit card please" "sign here". Took elevator to room, lots of loud noises in machinery, elevator swayed, lurched, and bucked.

Went to the room, key would not work, back on elevator to return to front desk, again it acted weird, bent my knees as it descended, fearful of it falling, returned to the desk carrying my luggage, told her, handed her the card, she took it, created a new one, nothing said, not even sorry.

Nice room (l reserved the king/sofa bed combo because I wanted one a bit bigger than normal) comfortable bed, no complaints there.

Went down elevator again in order to eyeball the fitness center for next morning work-out. A treadmill a broken stationary bike and a TV (working), nothing more, no barbells or anything.

On return to room, another guest on elevator commented about being so nervous because of the noises, clanking sounds, and swaying that she said she was going to take the stairs. (Later I noticed that elevator on right is fine, but one on left is noisy, sways, bucks, + lurches.)

Dinner - attached restaurant closed, for sale sign outside. Per Tripadvisor ratings, went to the top rated local Polish restaurant (Cocova ??)- food ok, no complaints, obviously local neighborhood favorite.

No ice machine on my floor, just drink machine. Went to next floor, found ice machine, but no drink machine.

Breakfast - sole fruit - old ugly bananas. Only one type of dry cereal (corn flakes) usual bagels, bread, waffles. Had 2 yogurts. TV off, asked if it could be turned on to watch news/weather - told it was broken. (Couldn't they switch it out with the 'fitness center' TV?)

After breakfast went to the computer/printer to print directions to specific building at CCSU - computer worked, but no connection between printer and computer. Being quite computer literate, I attempted to resolve situation thru several means, could not, friendly desk clerk said it has been an ongoing problem, she used her computer to print directions.

Upon return to the room, I decided that it was time to post my first review on Tripadvisor. (My wife may have posted some previously.)

I had read the TA reviews before coming here and yet wanted to walk to CCSU where I will be attending a conference. Mistake to put too much importance on being close to CCSU. With so many corners being cut re maintenance and outside appearance, I think that the days are numbered for this hotel under present owner or management.

The location appears to be depressed economically so I guess that this hotel may be suffering from the same fate.

Room Tip: Rooms are fine, rest is not.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank pam_chesbay
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Great room, clean, comfortable. May not be the best location but we had no trouble when we walked around. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Nice little tavern around the corner. Bed very comfortable, bathroom was beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed January 29, 2011

First, let me start with something positive, the rooms for the money combined with the location were not bad. Additionally, there were no additional fees for my dogs which was nice.

That said, there is much more work that needs to be done. First, we booked a suite and upon arrival were told the guest staying in the suite decided to stay another night and therefore we were out of luck. This was the first problem. Then we had to call the front desk three times for our roll away bed. Then the only key we were given stopped working on day two. Then while unpacking, someone else opened the room door because when we checked in the computers were down and when they came back on line they forgot to input us in the room. This caused my 2 small dogs to go bananas, not good. Then the beds, I'm not sure about the upgrades I keep hearing about bed our bed was hard as a rock and the fitted sheet refused to stay attached to the bed. The bathroom was very small and somewhat dirty.

The location is convinient however a bit skethchy. Lastly, the free breakfast. I found the breakfast offerings to be lackluster as everything just seemed off, The juice was bland , the bagels small, the fruit was not fresh and the waffels we read about on-line were non-existant and on top of that it was a mob seen as every guest jockeyed for position to get their $60 dollars worth of free breakfast.

So if your just looking for an inexpensive crash pad downtown this may work. However, our experience had far too many issues for a one night stay for me to give a positive rating.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vwbug77
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here while up visiting his family for Thanksgiving, and I have to say this was a very pleasant stay. I swear I wanted to take the bed home with me, I havent slept that good, even when I stayed at a Marriott. The rooms were cleaned each day and fresh towels and condiments were changed out daily, which Ive never experienced such great service at any other hotel Ive stayed at. So I give this hotel an A+

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Britain
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville
Quality Inn & Suites Meriden
Holiday Inn Express Newington

Been to Red Roof Inn Hartford - New Britain? Share your experiences!