“Excellent”

Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were staying one night on our way to NYC when we found the East Side on Trip advisor and gave it a try. Excellent food, beer and atmosphere. When many places are chain stereotypes, this is real. Not the cheapest, but one of the best for the price. Portions are large, so we got a full dinner for one and a herring appetizer for the other, which was more than enough.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I know this is not a good reason to go to a restaurant but we visit this place about every two months and are in love with their coffee. It is evidently made with a liquid they purchase which is mixed with boiling water. Now for the food. We are seldom disappointed in their food and generally order the same meals. I order the roast turkey, breast meat only, with potato pancakes and request a double serving of their turnips with carrots instead of the corn, which we find tasteless. My better half had her regular chicken schnitzel with potato pancakes. We opted for the soup rather than salad and I had turkey rice with the wife eating the barley soup. We were started off with a free serving of cottage cheese spiced with horse radish and yummy cole slaw. The food was great as usual. We only come here occasionally because the quantity of food is so great we usually skip dinner. The lunch is much more reasonable in cost than the dinner, which is almost double the price and the quantity. Walter, the accordionist, played for us and the wife did not appreciate this extra. I thought it gave some nice atmosphere. This is a festive place that we will return to on occasion when we need a very big lunch and don't have time for dinner like tonight. I have trouble understanding why some people do not like this place. We never come for dinner only for coffee and lunch.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ok, I am only part German, but I traveled Germany many times lots of time in Munich and Bavaria. I am a huge fan of German Beer so we traveled to East Side..So they had decent beer but it was not fresh. The food...no way was that German food (well maybe by name but poorly executed. I will give it some good points for trying to have fun but I left with a very hefty bill for a family of four (and my kids are small), and a very dissatisfied palate. So if you wanna have a party and drink beer and don’t care about the food, go. If you want a Taste of Germany, don’t bother.

2  Thank ALogic
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Fun place with very good German food. Lots of great draft beer selections. Birthday partiers with funny hats. Flights of shots served on paddles followed by quick spank with the paddle (a little weird, I think). Whenever a large stein is ordered the server shouts "Ticki Tocki Ticki Tocki" followed by the crowd shouting "Hoy, Hoy Hoy!" All in all good fun, but the food is worth the trip. Even without the beer, the salads, appetizers, entrees and dessert will fill you up. You won't leave hungry!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Yes it's all about German food and they have a load of it. You can pick quite a few items and the veal otherwise know as shnitzel (sp) and their spatzel is very good. Try it you'll like it. The entertainment on the weekends is pretty good. Bring a crow with you and get a few pints.

1  Thank johnnybgood1959