“Great Time, Great Beer, Great Eats!”

East Side Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 150 Restaurants in New Britain
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The carefree atmosphere in this local German restaurant is sure to bring a smile to anyone's face. I went there for a late dinner with friends. We ended up getting a table full of appetizers and a few VERY LARGE steins of beer. We loved the german coleslaw that was given to us when we were seated. Lots of adult birthday celebrations were going on. There was an accordion player and some live music. If you are looking for a fun, loud atmosphere, great German beer and a unique atmosphere, be sure to check it out. We had a fabulous, friendly server, and a great time. We will be back!

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

After reading some of the recent reviews I can only say that there is a great difference of opinion about this restaurant. While you can't please everyone I can only say that it depends on what you order. We have tried several dishes we do not care for such as the spatzle or the sauerbraten. On the other hand the roast stuffed turkey, chicken schnitzel and jäger schnitzel are fantastic. We usually come for lunch and that includes cottege cheese appetizer and cole slaw mix. The coffee is the best I ever tasted. Then comes the soup or salad and with the entree comes the corn and turnips mixed with carrots. They also serve bread and butter. Coming to the East Side is a special event for us since we usually miss dinner we are so stuffed. The service and atmosphere are also superb and festive. Thank you Sandra for keeping our coffee cup filled throughout our dinner. I guess you would appreciate this place if you are not German since it may not be authentic enough for you but for an American who has been to Germany only once the food is very good but I wish they would so a better sauerbraten. For that I must visit the Student Prince or Hofbrau House in Springfield Mass,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Seven of us were anxious to try some German food and someone said this was the one to check out and she was right. The atmosphere is perfect, the staff is well trained, and the menu selections definitely reflect the authenticity they advertise. Most of our clan tried everything from roast turkey in dark gravy to a wurst variety platter that came with a salad, soup and dessert. Many were there to celebrate their birthdays and I was among them. It was fun eating and singing with a bunch of beer drinking, rather loud attendees. The package was priced just right and worth every penny. Odd to see such an elegant restaurant in a rather desolate part of town but their parking lot was filled when we arrived and that was certainly a the good sign. Already have spread the word that East Side Restaurant is a hidden gem!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Not knowing what to expect, we had so much fun when we went here. It was just after our daughters birthday and even though it was a birthday outting, it turned into one. She mentioned her birthday to the server, and they brought over a princess hat and allowed her to pick a song of her choice, Insy Winsy Spider, that was played on an Accordion. How awesome.

The food portions are huge but for whatever reason, it is near impossible to stop eating. The food is so good. The beer is great and the staff was fantastic.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went here several years ago and were so disgusted by the food we vowed we would never return. Well recently my spouse had read some better reviews so on a recent trip to New Britain we thought we would give it a second chance. What a mistake! I am German, grew up in a German family, and travel to Switzerland, Austria, or Germany every year. So I can confidently say I have never eaten anything so awful before. The spaetzle are over boiled packaged noodles and then not even fried up as they should be. The gravy on the jaeger schnitzel tastes like it was out of an industrial can. It is this kind awful cooking (and I use that term loosely here) that gives German cooking a bad rap. Please do your palate a favor and avoid this at all cost

7  Thank Avidhiker