“Pleasantly Surprised”

Angelico's Cafe
Ranked #39 of 164 Restaurants in New Britain
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 5, 2016

I visited here with 9 others to celebrate my sister-in-laws 60th birthday. The table was waiting for us when we arrived. Our waitress was extremely sweet, kind and attentive. Our meals came out at the same time, were hot and everyone raved about theirs, especially those who had the prime rib. One of the specials of the evening were whole belly clams, a favorite of mine. I'm always apprehensive as I have ordered them in other places and bit down on pieces of sand. My portion was larger than I imagined, and not one single piece of sand! The clams were sweet and obviously fresh. I was very, VERY impressed.

Date of visit: March 2016

Reviewed September 17, 2015 via mobile

Over on the east side of town, across from the Dodge Ram car dealership is Angelico's Restaurant, 542 E. Main St., New Britain. CT. Keep your expectations modest and you won't be disappointed. This enterprise is a throwback to the 1950s, which is maybe when Angelico's got started. There's a bar and several dining spaces, all dimly lit and looking like a B movie set from a Warner Bros. back lot. A huge parking lot suggests they do big parties, say for Italian weddings and such. The night we went there was just one couple in the bar; we had a dining room all to ourselves until another couple appeared. Our waitress was super warm and friendly and service was prompt and efficient. As for the food, think Blue Plate Special, which means decent but unspectacular. The prices were so low I feared I'd be served fish that had been frozen. Not to worry. The fish tasted fresh. And the portions are extremely generous. With my baked potato I got sour cream as well as butter, which was thoughtful. I must mention the bread, which was crusty and rich--and quickly consumed. So if you find yourself hungry in New Britain and don't want to go to the suburbs for more upscale, eat at Angelico's and you won't go to bed hungry.

Date of visit: September 2015
1  Thank MotherJoyce
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I wanted prime ribs, so we went to Angelico's on this Saturday for dinner. I had eaten there other times and it had been "ok". The front entrance was filthy with cigarette butts and trash. We waited 15 to be seated (only two tables were occupied, the others empty!). It was dark. Waited 15 to order. Ordered medium well. Waited 30 for food. Hard bread and salad were served. Steaks were raw, the baked potatoes very small, stale and cold. Asked to have it cooked more new potato was the same. Steak very salty! The whoke carpeted floor was old and dirty with food that had fallen on the floor, papers, napkins, strow papers. Dirty dishes piled up next to us. Poor service. No, I would not recommend.

Date of visit: April 2014
1  Thank Eva T
Reviewed October 19, 2013

While visiting a friend in New Britain she mentioned how she and her beloved, but recently deceased, husband of 62 years had visited this establishment weekly for many years. She accepted my offer to visit. They greeted her as if she was family! The atmosphere was very pleasant, food very good, service great! I just wish this was closer to home for me.

Date of visit: October 2013
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were introduced to Angelico's from our family for an anniversary dinner ( Prime rib ) it was amazing and well worth the trip, seafood also is fresh and cooked to perfection, we travel from Burlinton every weekend to have there prime rib steak dinner nd have talked to other couples there with the same comment.
Keep up the good work and hats off to their chef and staff!

Date of visit: January 2013