“Authentic Polish food, nice atmosphere, friendly service”

Staropolska Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 150 Restaurants in New Britain
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is a clean, friendly, authentic Polish restaurant, equally populated with Polish and English speakers. Staff was very helpful. The food is generally high quality, and the prices are fair for the portions served. Some observations:
- Chicken noodle soup was terrific
- Pierogies are wonderful - both boiled and fried styles
- Polish platter was very large - consider sharing
- Roast beef grinder was the least satisfactory of our party's choices - sandwich was dry

2  Thank Dave4_-_3W
There are newer reviews for Staropolska Restaurant

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I tried this shrine to all foods Polish for the first time this past weekend. My prior acquaintance with Polish cuisine has been limited to kielbasa, so I'm in no position to comment on how this stacks up as Polish food. I CAN say my meal was excellent! Purely in the pursuit of gastronomic science, you understand, I had the Polish Platter, the sampler. OK, they first bring out a huge potato pancake. With applesauce, and sour cream, natch--and a cherry on top! (Stop, you had me at "potato pancake!") Then out came a large plate, resplendent with three pierogies, a large galumphing golumki, the aforementioned kielbasa, and a bowl of bigos, hunter's stew. ALL wonderful, lip-smackingly so! My favorite was the bigos, bits of meat swimming in an entirely savory sweet-and-sour type sauce/slaw. Warsaw, I salute you!

2  Thank Mark L
Reviewed January 27, 2014

After reading a great review, we decided to go here for our periodic retiree luncheon. Since a number of us are of Polish heritage, it was not a tough sell. Although the menu contains more than just Polish dishes, everyone choose some ethnic plate. The cabbage outer wrapper has never been my favorite part of a golabki, but loved their cabbage. Not sure what was different, but it was probably one of the few times that I ate everything. The golabki also have plenty of sauce so catsup is not needed. Waitress was attentive and friendly. Others in the group had the pierogis and potato pancakes which also received high marks. Did not leave empty handed as two of us ordered meals to go for a future meal.

4  Thank Bernie O
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Although I grew up in New Britain I had not been to the Polish Broad Street area for decades.
staroplska is an amazing authentic experience. There are more Polish speaking people than English. The place is very cozy and very clean. As for the food, all of the classic polish dishes are there and they are outstanding. The menu veers more toward the German spectrum than Russian with dishes like Vienerschnitzel and Potato pancakes, and that suits our taste. Some dishes are very unique, at least to us, like Borscht with dumplings. We never had it like that and it is great. The food is on the heavy side of course, but you actually can get in a fair amount of veggies such as beets and red cabbage. There is also a nice selection of Polish beers.

The service is another factor that makes this experience so good. The servers take obvious pride in the restaurant, and the dishes. Even when full they are very attentive and promt. The prices are very low for the quality and value. We always top the evening off with a visit to the Polish meat market across the street. For us the experience is priceless.

2  Thank Bob L
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We dropped in this neat restaurant in the Polish part of town based on some positive recommendations from others! We were not disappointed. Both the restaurant and bar were packed with locals having a great Polish lunch ( and maybe a beer or two) with friends and family. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. It has probably been fifty plus years since I have had Polish food with my Father's family back in Chicago, and throughout the lunch I started remembering Polish words and phrases from my early childhood, no doubt from both the food and atmosphere.. I hope my travels someday take me back this way so I can enjoy this wonderful restaurant again!

1  Thank aprince707