“Must see in Mystic!”

Azu
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2008

My husband and I have been traveling to Mystic from NYC for three years and we always end up here for brunch, lunch, dinner or drinks. The specialty drinks are consistently delicious and the wait staff is friendly. We love the food and the crowd is always pleasant. A must when visiting!

Reviewed May 11, 2008

Good news! Last night, our party was seated right on time for our 7:00 reservation. Of course, the summer crowd's not here yet. I'll try to remember that if they are having problems on the front end with seating, that the food would be well worth the wait.

I had a 'Louisiana Red Fish' with 'Purple Thai Rice'. Despite the mystery-meat connotation, I don't think I've had a better tasting piece of fish this year (moist inside, slightly crisp outside - just the way i love it), and the mango chutney - which I've made pretty well myself - was extraordinarilly fresh and added just the right sweetness to the hearty fish.

Our young waiter was earnest and responsive, though perhaps not as pro-active (I like to be watered without having to ask) as he will likely become. Well-deserving of a great tip already! Well-trained.

And if that poster thought the entre sizes were small, maybe they should go back to eating at Cracker Barrel? Anything more would be glutounous! I didn't finish all my rice (even though it was excellent), saving room for the (ok gotta use it, it's a review!) SUBLIME bread pudding.

Award winning fare at AZU from this diner's perspective!

Bravo! Bravo! to AZU!!! (which, oh by the way, was way too crowded for friends who skipped the wait at that excellent but noisy local competitor to take their chances at AZU, where they were seated right away).

Ambience: more NY or Miami than anything else in the area. Go!

Chip Green, Voluntown, CT

Reviewed April 27, 2008

let me state that the wait service has always been surberb, along with the food , at Azu..my issue is with the hostess. She overbooks reservations and then will not sit you in the order you arrive, even if the party size is the same as someone who arries after you with the same reservation time. She is rude and aloof and should have at least offered the guests waiting there for over 15 minutes, a free drink. Please change up the front service before you lose many patrons!

1  Thank kelln
Reviewed April 21, 2008

While out for a day trip this past Saturday to enjoy the weather - my husband and I stumbled upon AZU in Mystic. The restaurant looked inviting with the front windows wide open. We sat at the bar and had OK service. The bartenders were nice enough but we did have to wait a few minutes to place our order for a drinks and some appetizers. Food was OK but a bit pricey. After we had eaten and had paid the check I needed to use the restroom. As I approached the restroom I was stopped by the Hostess and told that the restroom was for paying guests only. She said this in a very rude way as she looked me up and down as if to say you possibly could not be here as a guest. After I corrected her - that we just spent $100 on food and drinks she apologized but unfortunately for the restaurant the damage was done. I will not go back to AZU again. I will also be sure to share this story with all my friends who frequent the area. Going out now a days is much to expensive and there are far too many places to waste my money or time in a place to be treated rudely.

1  Thank MilfordLynne
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My wife and I found AZU when we had finished dinner and were exploring downtown Mystic, we noticed they served breakfast and decided to give it a try the next morning and I can say we were not disappointed at all. The breakfast service was first class from the service the moment you walked through the door. Although breakfast is not AZU's forte they excel at it. Our breakfast was nicely plated, they omelets we had were first class, the restaurant appears very modern but is very warm and cozy, the staff were very professional and went way out of their way to make your dining experience wonderful. We did not get a chance to try their dinner service this visit but next time were in town we plan on going to AZU for dinner. We highly suggest you try AZU for breakfast. The prices were well within lines for normal breakfast prices.