“Everything was great except housekeeping...”
Review of Hyatt Place Mystic

Hyatt Place Mystic
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed August 10, 2009

A nice, new, clean and comfortable place. Loved the nice staff, great location, quiet rooms, adequate pool, computers in the lobby. The free breakfast was only okay, nothing special. The trouble was our housekeeper-who despite being asked at 10 to clean our empty room, didn't get to it until 5 pm. And she was lazy! Upon check-in, our bathroom floor was greasy with some cleaning solution that was not wiped up, and 2 bulbs were out in the room and the carpet was not vacuumed. But the bed and shower were immaculate. She did not vacuum the second day either, and amenities showed up the second day that were not there the first. Turns out there was a language barrier with her- but sloppy rooms will pull down a hotel, so the manager there is not awake. It is still a very pleasant place to stay. BTW- it is the only 3 star hotel in Mystic, and armed with this info we made our reservation on hotwired.com asking for a 3 star Mystic hotel- and got the room at only $129 a night, not the $200 plus you are quoted on the Hyatt website.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed August 6, 2009

The room was huge, very comfortable and well-designed, with many well-defined, separate areas. The staff was quite helpful. The only negative was the "broadband" internet connection, which was way too slow and had a cumbersome daily sign-in procedure instead of a password.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night on a Thursday night for our anniversary trip to Mystic, CT. I booked the hotel via Priceline for about half of the actual price and we had no problems upon check-in.

The rooms are really big with separate lounge and bedroom areas. There is a divider wall between the two parts, and a huge flat screen TV is right across from the divider so that it can be watched from both sides of the room. There were only two of us but I imagine that these rooms can easily accommodate a family of four with young children. We didn’t use it but there is a small kitchen type area with a sink, refrigerator and coffee maker. Many different sorts of teas and coffees are provided.
The only downside of the room is the set up of the bathroom. There is only a toilet and tub in the bathroom. The bathroom sink is actually outside the bathroom in the bedroom area right across from the bed. At first I thought that because we were accommodated in a handicap accessible room that the bathroom was set up this way, but then I took a peek at other rooms across the hall and they are all set up the same way. Shampoo, conditioner and hand soap is provided, but as far as I can remember no shower gel. There is a hair dryer, ironing board and a safe in the cupboard.

There is complementary breakfast in the lobby area. There is no designated area, only a small kitchen on the right hand side, where the breakfast is served. You grab your breakfast and eat at the tables or at the counter in the lobby. Breakfast selection is good: Fruits, yogurt, white and whole wheat bread, English muffins, bagels, honey, a couple different types of jam, butter, cream cheese, a small selection of breakfast cereal, tea, coffee and orange juice. You can also order eggs and sausage for an additional fee.

The hotel has a pretty small outdoor pool and towel service. We used the pool on a Thursday afternoon and there were only two other families other than us, so it wasn’t crowded at all.

The hotel is located a very short drive from both the Mystic Seaport and the Mystic Aquarium (and the Olde Mistick Village). You can easily walk to both locations but there is ample parking at both sites so it is not necessary.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its location, cleanliness and price – especially if you can get the Priceline rate. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Do not accept a stay in room 101. Two setts of outside doors open directly in front of it and you hear doors banging all evening and early into the AM. We have a young child and none of us could sleep. They said they were full and could not switch the room. (for the entire stay) We would have left but had paid in advance.This should not even be a room, it is across from staff lounge with no other rooms near it for obvious reasons. We wondered when we first saw this location but figured we would give it a try. DON'T...they are unresponsive when you are sleepless from the noise. They have to know this room is unacceptable. Also the AM breakfast was mobbed with no place to sit and you had to fight to get to food. (very limited) Coffee ran out for over half an hour, etc... I found the place way below what we have experiencesd at Hampton or Comfort Inn for similar prices. We would not stay at a Hyatt Place again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank james5243
Reviewed July 31, 2009

The photos and the reviews for this hotel were very appealing for the most part. We were under the impression that it was nicer than it was. We were shocked to find that the lobby was very dark and dank. There is food in a case right in the lobby which was odd. The rooms were actually very disappointing and we found the ventilation terrible. Additionally the pool was much smaller than pictured. In sum, even though the rates were very reasonable, the hotel was more like a motel that just had a new facade...I find the Hampton Inns much better than this in most cases.

1  Thank GringaTicaSiempre
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This place has a high rating for a reason, before coming here I mentioned to my friends and family where I was going and nearly everyone said "ohhh the hyatt is nice". Let's start with the beginning. The people I traveled with to this hotel were my girlfriend and my daughter of 2 and a half. The hotel is situated perfectly near everything that you want to go to but nesteled away in privacy by trees at the same time which is a nice feeling. The lobby is absolutely breath taken and feels really high quality, there are many lounges and places to sit, an onsite kitched where you can order food 24/7, there is also a bar area with an onsite starbucks. The staff is incredibly polite and joyful, they greeted us with a smile and were able to provide us with suggestions for places to see and eat that were child friendly. Throughout our stay the staff consistently smiled and greeted us everywhere we went and made sure to acknoledge and communicate with my daughter, which is important. The hotel room is fabulouse as it is lavish and has the feeling of being in a private suite. I also loved the fact that this hotel is non smoking. There is a nice heated pool on site, a fitness center equipped with treadmills and a bike machine. To end this story I loved the hyatt and will be sure to stay at hyatt hotels on my future vacations.

Places we ate and saw:
Mystic Aquarium
Mystic Seaport
Downtown Mystic
Olde Mystic Village
River Walk Restaurant
Rice.Spice.Noodle

Reviewed July 15, 2009

Hyatt Place Mystic is a very solid 3-star hotel located just off I-95, within a short walking distance of the Olde Mystic Village. My wife, 7-month old son and I stayed there for 3 nights over the July 4th weekend. I won this hotel on Priceline and the price we paid was significantly below market. It is often the case that “Priceline” customers are (and probably should be) treated by hotels as second-class citizens. This was not, however, the case with this Hyatt. All of our requests (quiet room, portable crib, etc.) were complied with and a Hyatt representative actually called us one day prior to our arrival to confirm that everything was in order.

Our room was a double-double, with separate living and sleeping quarters. Lots of space, nice and modern furniture, 42-inch flat screen TV (placed so that it could be watched from either the couch in the “living” room or from either of the two beds). The room also has a little kitchen sink, coffee/tea maker and iron/board. The hotel also offers complementary Wi-Fi connection (with decent signal). Overall, the only two minor complaints I had about the room: (i) a hint of musty smell when you just enter the room – not totally unpleasant, similar to the smell at Caribbean resorts and (ii) our bathroom was on the smaller side.

Breakfast was included in the price, even for Priceline customers. Nothing atypical and better than average as far as continental breakfasts go. Bagels, muffins, cream cheese/jams, yogurt, good selection of hot and cold cereal, fresh fruits and fruit salad, juices, hot beverages. There is no separate seating area for breakfast, you just eat in the reception lobby or at the counter next to the reception desk. Hot breakfast was also available for an extra charge and you could also purchase cake/pastries (displayed in a fridge next to the receptionist) 24/7.

Hyatt Mystic has an outside heated pool with towel service. There were only half a dozen lounge chairs and maybe 7-8 armed chairs by the pool – not enough if more than a few people show up.

What I really loved about this hotel was the service. At different times we had a chance to counteract with four different employees and they all were or tried to be helpful. Whether we needed driving directions, restaurant advice, extra towels, ticket information, etc., we were greeted with courteous smiles and had our issues resolved in a timely manner.

P.S. I’m an apple lover (adorer!). As I was contemplating whether to give this hotel four or five stars, I remembered that they had a vase with free apples in the reception area, 24/7. Five stars it is!

2  Thank NJFlint