“Lots of pros and cons”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Waretown, New Jersey
“Lots of pros and cons”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Pros: centrally located in Mystic, large tastfully appointed rooms with with living room area and fridge , large screen TV, free Starbucks in lobby, including espresso and lattes. Cons: small outdoor pool with lots of kids, breakfast ends at 9am so don't go after 8 because it was so crowded and messy with lots of kids who apparently don't have any manners or weren't supervised. The windows in the room don't open and the room a/c cycles on and off a lot.

Hints: walk up the block to Friendly's or the diner for breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 1st floor if you want any quiet time.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vikster101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
East Meadow
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family of four stayed here for two nights. Our King room with Queen pullout was beautiful. I love the fact that they have down comforters and not huge ugly dirty quilts. The bed and pullout were very comfortable. My kids loved the Huge TV. There was also a huge variety of component jacks next to the television so you can charge your electronics. The outdoor pool (one of only three outdoor pools in mystic) was beautiful and clean. The staff was really nice and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and included eggs on croissants with spinach; biscuit with egg, avocado, turkey and cheese and pancakes. Also they have everything else from a continental breakfast. The food is plentiful and was always hot. There really is no "dining room" to eat just a few tables, so you either have to get their early for a table, small tables in lobby or eat in your room. We did not have a problem finding a seat. The location is perfect and the landscaping is beautiful. The hotel costs a bit more than the hotels in the area, but it is more upscale and worth it with the breakfast and cleanliness.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy G
Windham, Maine
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Hotel was average, clean, people at front very busy, but did greet us.We always look for breakfast to be included so we can relax and not have to rush out in the mornings.Our issue was the breakfast set up!! First the time, 6:30-9:00, and weekends till 10:00, made everyone sleep in till the last minute, lots of children included, and a mad dash to wait in lines for food. We had no place to sit, as the families had spread out over the few areas to eat.We arrived at 8:00, and many things were gone, the area was a disaster!!! The set-up was not user friendly at all, dishes and plates, cups, etc. overhead on shelves where the food was, people reaching over you, having to keep cutting in lines!!!!Not clean at all!!!! Next morning we went out for breakfast, not very pleased!!!! The extra 4 dollar charge to watch a movie was not very nice on top of 16.99 for it to begin with.We will not be back.Did I mention the messy sitting area, disaster!!!!Children over took the whole area, what a mess! Next day passing through, same deal going on, we couldn't wait to leave!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy892
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Place for two nights with my husband and 9 month old son. The hotel is in a perfect location, walking distance to the aquarium and olde mystic village. The guest room is very large and my son had a ball crawling all around. They provided us with a pack and play for him to sleep in at no extra charge. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and delicious, and the staff is friendly and willing to accommodate all requests. I needed dish soap to wash bottles in the room and they gladly went into the kitchen to get me some. The pool is small, but lovely. We had a wonderful stay and would gladly return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MelBorz
New York, United States
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I should start by saying that I am usually very grossed out by staying at hotels. I travel with my own sheets/pillowcases and check rooms very carefully for any evidence of bedbugs or other things that could be lurking within. After my very thorough inspection, I was pleasantly surprised to find a very clean room. Mattresses and sheets were super clean and I felt confident that nothing would be snacking on me while I slept! LOL The staff at the hotel was very friendly. You absolutely cannot beat the free breakfast that they serve in the lobby each morning. Fresh fruit, juice, eggs, bagels, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, donuts. You name it, they had it. The only complaint I had was that the bed left my back hurting each morning. I was in pain for the first hour or two after waking up. I have to say that for the price, this was an excellent experience. I also would like to add that although we were happy that the hotel had a pool, it was strangely small. I felt awkward to use it because with only about 8 people in it you felt like you were almost on top of each other. They did have towel service by the pool, which was nice. We were very happy with our stay.

Room Tip: We were in room 333. It was the last room at the end of the hall. It was quiet because we only share...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Farrah D
Selden, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My Husband and I decided to take an overnight trip to Mystic on July 14, 2013. We booked the Hyatt Place for two reasons..decent reviews and location.

I cannot praise the staff at this hotel with enough words in the dictionary!

We arrived by motorcycle after an extremely hot and sticky 91+ degree ride at 12:00 noon and even though check-in is 3:00 p.m we were welcomed like family the moment we walked up to the desk to see if we could store our luggage until the room became available.

Amazingly the room was already done and ready and we smoothly checked in and went upstairs and changed into our shorts and comfortable clothing.

We ventured back down to the lobby to get refreshments and get directions to Foxwoods and were well taken care of in that realm as well. After our trip to Foxwoods we came back to the hotel and had cocktails and went down to the really nice, slightly small and very clean outdoor pool and met some really nice people.

We decided we wanted to continue the night in downtown Mystic so again we asked the staff if there were shuttles or taxi's because we did not want to drink and drive and they told us don't worry we can drive and pick you up!!
How great is that?

Unfortunately, when we called for them to pick us up the shift changed and "Mike" was by himself and could not leave so he furnished us with a local taxi number. We made friends with the locals in John's Cafe and the taxi couldn't come to get us for 2 hours so one of them drove us back to the hotel.

Upon arrival, we asked Mike if there really was 24 hour food service and he said yes indeed and proceeded to cook us a fantastic dish! When we asked him what we owed he said "on the house for us not being able to come get you." WOW again!!

Long story short we stayed another night with the hotel shuttling us to Old Mystick and the area restaurants as well.

From the front desk to all the housekeepers and crew you all made us want for nothing!!
This place was clean and nice, the complimentary breakfast with hot and cold choices and was really a great touch. The cook the second morning was very creative and it was yummy!!

The only thing I would say is negative is the fact that corporate should not expect the front desk to be reception/chef/servers/ and cleaners..in my book they are severely underpaid and overworked yet do it with a smile nonetheless! Hire a chef and let them take care of business at the desk as hostess, etc.
Oh, and by the way..we left our $1000.00 Nikon SLR camera behind and the housekeepers brought it too management right away and they arranged to have it FedEx to us...talk about honest great people..5+ stars for this hotel!!

Room Tip: We were in room 203, pretty nice view..great room, king size bed with a partition that separates the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sioned1
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I selected the Hyatt based upon reviews from fellow Trip Advisors. The service was incredible, the rooms were spacious with an added seating area and the breakfast was way better than expected. Our room was immaculate. What excellent value for our stay, can't wait until our next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple