“Exceeded expectations”
Review of Hyatt Place Mystic

Hyatt Place Mystic
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I was very happy with my room. I had a king sized bed and was planning to stay on my own but due to power outages in Fairfield county, I came with two other people. The room was big enough for all and provided enough room that we weren't on top of each other. Beautiful room and great service.

• Stayed: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. We had to cut it short because of Hurricane Sandy, but we will definitely return to this hotel. The staff was very friendly, and the rooms were clean, with modern décor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my second stay with the family at the Hyatt Place in Mystic Ct. Any one with a family of five or more know how difficult it is to find large rooms to accommodate your family. Hyatt has done a wonderful job in welcoming bigger families with larger rooms and and space to walk around. Our room had two double beds and a pull out sectional couch. Even with the pull out open there was still room for the kids to walks around freely. The location is perfect and close to all attractions. The aquarium is less the a half mile away and the seaport only about a mile in the other direction. You are also close to restaurants located right across the street and the shopping area. They only small blemish is the free breakfast. There are not many choices and the new breakfast sandwiches are just ok . You need to get to the breakfast area early as it gets extremely busy and there are not enough seats to accommodate every one. They also have trouble keeping up with the demand of the hotel guests and you often had to wait for them to refill the serving dishes. The staff was friendly and the rooms clean. Mystic is a great place for a quick weekend trip and the Hyatt Place is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Salem45122531
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at a Hyatt recently in another city I wasn't expecting a very nice room. But I was surprised and very pleased with the size and cleanliness of our room and of the whole facility in general. I learned it's best to not generalize among chains and read reviews for each individual place if possible before booking.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently spent a few night in Mystic at the Hyatt Place Mystic hotel. What a beautiful town! I cannot say enough of great thing about this hotel, staff, and location.

I was greeted at the train station with the Hyatt shuttle who took us to the hotel. There I was greeted by very friendly hotel staff. The hotel room is quite huge - almost like a suite so plenty of room to move around.

The first night I had some issues, one with the coffee maker and the other with the phone. Will, was there in a matter of minutes and assisted with both issues. On top of that - I asked Will if he could bring some tea and honey as I had a cold and he brought that for me too! Thanks again Will!

One night during my stay there was a happy hour with complimetary appetizers, beer, and hot apple cider. There I met the manager who was extremely friendly and helpful and gave me a coupon to the Boathouse for dinner. I actually changed my dinner plans that night and went to the Boathouse instead and had the BEST scallops I have ever had. In fact, I typically do not like going to the same restaurant twice on vacation but the scallops were so fresh I went two nights in a row for dinner!

The aquarium was so much fun - particularly the beluga whales. The grounds at the aquarium were gorgeous and the foliage was in peak, which made it even more beautiful. The Seaport museum was a lot of fun and so pretty being right on the Mystic river. And shopping....what a wonder experience at the Old Mystic Village Shopping Center. So many great stores and also quite a nice independent movie theatre that I attended.

Overall this was a great vacation and the location to all three places I visited could not have been better.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The person who helped us at the front desk was great! We got in early, went in and he gave us a map and directions to the seaport. It was a chilly, misty day, we got back to hotel about 5 pm and the same person checked us in. At the same time we were checking in there was someone else doing the same but being a huge complainer because their friends could not get a room that connected with theirs nor one right next to them! Come on, she had to be in her thirties! Long story short, we got to our room, unpacked totally, and there is a knock on the door, that being the two guys from the front desk, and yes, they had the nerve to ask us to move to another room! The reason being is that the complainer had got the room right across from us, and yes, she wanted her friends to stay there! We were told straight out that the reason we were being asked to move is because of her complaining and that the manager had told them of offer us a $20 voucher for room service! We had to pack everything all up, and move to another room, and at one point this complaining person came into my room asking me when I had booked it stating she had been at the hotel that morning and had been there before us! She even asked me if the room we were in was the same one they had booked us in when we made the reservations on line? Anyone knows they do not give you a room number! Duh!! So in the end, the complainer got her way, but as we were going down the hall with our luggage I heard her ask the person who had checked her in, how long have they been here, I don't want a dirty room!!! I smiled thinking that you reap what you sow and I can only imagine how they had to cater to her the whole time she was there because they were not big enough to say no to someone who wanted her own way. We told them we would never enter their doors again, and we do not plan on doing so. What a waste of money to stay at this place. There are a lot of other places to stay that are lots cheaper and most likely treat all of their customers the same!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cindy G
Reviewed October 13, 2012

How people can give this place 5 stars in beyond me. Have they ever stayed at a nice hotel? We were burned by the glowing reviews this time while we foolishly ignored the poor reviews.

Only thing great was the guy at the front desk, he could not have been nicer, he showed us 2 or 3 different rooms and then let us leave at no cost. The rooms and entire hotel smell like mildew or dust or something wrong. Just could not breath comfortably. As someone said in another review, the sectional sofa looks like it came from a garage sale, torn and tattered . the place needs updating. . As soon as we got in the filthy elevator we got a bad feeling. The front desk clerk does check ins and also serves food and drinks at the bar. Totally bizarre setup. We ran to the Hampton Inn up the street where we could breath without wheezing. The Hyatt location is more convenient for walking to places but that does not make up for the musty air in the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple