“Probably the best hotel in the Mystic area”

Residence Inn Mystic Groton
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I frequently travel to this area for business and this is my #1 choice of places to stay. The location is wonderful, facility extremely clean and the staff just can't do enough for you. One time I arrived during a blackout and the staff was handing out flashlights to all of the guests as we checked in. There are "dinners" provided every weeknight which works well for people traveling with young kids. There are so many outstanding restaurants in the area, you really need to try a few of them. I recommend "Captain Daniel Packer Inn" , "Go Fish", "Steak Loft" and "Skipper's Dock" as really great places to try. Mystic Village is a really great place to pick up souvineers & trinkets for the folks back home. Make your reservations early as this hotel fills up quickly! One word of caution: If you don't like historical B&Bs, don't stay in the restored building in the parking lot. It does not have many of the modern conveniences but has lot's of atmosphere!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Geocaching Ace
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Mystic Groton

Reviewed September 5, 2007

We had a great stay at the Residence Inn. The room was nicely sized and great value. The TVs were a bit small though. The hotel staff was friendly and the breakfast was great, lots of choices and well maintained by the staff. The hotel is nicely located close to major highways and close to all of the attractions in Mystic, CT. No problems with outside noise, but the air conditioning was a bit noisy. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank zoecatva
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I stayed here for a few weeks in April and May. The hotel is wonderful. The suites are large and clean, nice size full kitchen with everything you need to cook a meal. The suites look like a studio apartment and it was very comfortable to stay in for days at a time. One week I had the whirlpool suite which was awesome and another week I had the fireplace suite which again was just perfect! I liked the suite that had doors separating the bedroom and living room area with two TVs and a pull out sofa bed. Perfect for a family.

This hotel really did have a 'homey' feeling. The staff is very nice. Free hot breakfast every morning was a delight. They also had a free small meal at dinner which was a nice surprise. If you don't eat a lot like me, this meal will serve as a dinner. One night I had a meatball sandwich that was so good. Another night was a BBQ with hot off the grill hamburgers and hot dogs. You can't beat this kind of service!

The pool, hot tub and exercise room was a great bonus to this hotel. There is also a nice green lawn area and basketball/tennis court. I wish every hotel I stayed in was like this one.

There is plenty to do in the area and several good restaurants. I liked the fact that it was easy to get around the area and the views of the rivers and lakes are beautiful. Unfortunately I didn't think to bring my camera because I stayed here for business.

You can't go wrong at this Residence Inn.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank devo1994
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I'm not sure where everyone else was staying but as far as we were concerned this hotel is a real dump.

The room was furnished with incredibly ugly furniture and the room smelled awful. It was not dirty but it was not a comfortable place to stay. The tiny indoor pool was so overchlorinated that my eyes watered simply from opening the pool door and a day's worth of towels were strewn all over the room.

The beds and linens are low quality and the fixures were in terrible condition. It took a half an hour to check in and the clerks were mopey and sluggish. The breakfast reminded me of something that might have been served in a college dormitory many many years ago.

The parking lot is cramped and there is no lobby. The hallways are loud and the elevator reeks.

I just can't recommend this place to anyone, it was gross.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank worcesterkate
Reviewed May 30, 2007

My husband had a conference at the Hilton Resort and Spa in Groton and called to late to get a room at that hotel. He was able to book into the Mystic Residence and given the amenities the kids and I decided to tag along. We stayed there May 28 -31. We loved the room, it was clean, roomy and well laid out. We had a separate bedroom and the kids slept on the pull out couch. The kitchen had a full fridge, 2 burner stovetop, micorwave and dishwasher. The hotel supplies all the dishes and cookware. We got there early Monday, checked in and hit the Mystic Aquarium (Awesome) which is walking distance from the hotel. Right next to the aquarium is the Old Mystic Village which is great, lots of lovely stores and just so nice to walk around. At the end of the day we went back to the hotel and hit the pool. The water temp was great and the pool was clean. They also have a tennis/basketball court right outside the pool area. The hotel provides free breakfast everyday which I thought was great. They had fruit, bread, muffins, bagels, cereal, nice hot oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar to put on top, eggs, bacon, make your own waffles and a few others. Much much more than I would have expected. The hotel also provides dinner during the week nights free. We were there for the first cookout, it was great. They had hot dogs, chicken, burgers, fixins' and a few sides. There was also a table with little goodies for the kids. The staff throughout our entire stay was fantastic. What a great bunch of fun people. I would highly recommend this place and will definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank u2daisyblue
Reviewed April 23, 2007

The Mystic Residence Inn is in a very nice location between all the attractions, Aquarium, Historic Village, Seaports and all nice restaurant, We stayed there on the way to Newport Rhone Island for the week. Check-in is late, we got our room early at two thirty. The room is very nice. Perfectly clean, with full kitchen, nice bed, studio unit. Marriott is my favorite hotel chain. It is worth it to apply for their reward program. We got this unit using only 15000 points. Hotel offer complimentary breakfast in the morning. It is very good with a large selection of items. The coffee is better than Starbuck. We had lunch at Steak Loft. It is very good with great salad bar. I am not a big fan of the area attraction and will probably not stay in the area again. It was great for a stop-over! The staff is fantastic at this hotel. Everyone is friendly!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank schong
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Overall, this was a clean, enjoyable hotel. My only complaint is that check in time is at 3pm. We arrived at 4:30 and our room was not ready yet, it was waiting inspection. It was not fun to wait in the lobby with two little children who were dying to get in the pool. I must say the desk staff was very attentive in trying to get the room ready for us. Overall, this hotel is close to nearby attractions and restaurants, and very clean. I would stay here again! In addition, I requested a quiet room at the end of the hall, and again the desk staff went out of their way to make sure I stayed in that type of room. In addition, we requested more blankets, and no sooner than I had gotten off of the phone with the front desk, the blankets arrived. I liked feeling like a valued guest - that happens few and far between nowadays.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family