“Great Stay at the Hilton Mystic!”
Review of Hilton Mystic

Hilton Mystic
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We just returned from a one night stay at the Mystic Hilton. This is definitely the best choice for a hotel in that town. The location is great, directly across the street from the aquarium and the Old Mystick Village shops. It's only about a 5 minute drive to Mystic Seaport. The hotel itself is a basic, but nice brick building.

We checked in around 5:00, and had no problems. The front desk staff wasn't the friendliest I've encountered, but was very efficient and informative. When you walk in, there is a glass-enclosed courtyard straight ahead with a large sculpture of whales in it. The main lobby area is to the left, and was pleasantly decorated with a bunch of seating areas.

We booked a2 double bed executive room, but this hotel doesn't offer the executive club lounge with breakfast and concierge service that most Hiltons do. However, we knew this before arrival, as it was clearly stated when we made the choice online. The room was on the fourth floor (438). It was a pretty far walk from the elevator, as there is only one set of elevators, and the hotel is in a large U shape. The room was very large and beautifully decorated. It was extremely clean, and had obviously been recently renovated. There was even a large open entrance area when you walk in. Everything was decorated in red and gold, and was very tasteful. The beds were some of the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel! There was a large TV , and a great desk area with a very comfortable chair. Our view wasn't amazing, of the courtyard outside the indoor pool, but I don't think any rooms in this hotel have a "great" view. The bathroom was on the small side, but had nice tile and granite countertops. Again, you could tell everything was new. The only thing that needed repair was the carpet, which had some dirty spots.

I don't know if the executive room itself was any different than a normal room, but it was exceptionally decorated and quite large. The only extra amenities it offered were free bottled water, robes, and better bathroom amenities.

We didn't use the pool or fitness center, but the pool looked like a decent sized normal indoor pool. There was a Foxwoods casino shuttle that ran throughout the night, but we chose to drive to avoid being stuck there longer than we wanted. It's only about a 15-20 minute drive from Mystic.

We chose to eat at the Mooring Restaurant for breakfast the next morning. It was quite good. The restaurant is pleasantly decorated in a nautical theme, but isn't very popular. We were the only family there when we went, but some people came later on. We all had the buffet except my son, which was ok, but not the best I've ever had at a hotel. There was an omelette station, cold cereals, fruit, and pastries, and some hot items like sausage, bacon, and potatoes. My son ordered off the menu and got the caramel apple french toast. It looked and tasted great. It was french toast with small pieces of cut-up caramelized apple on it. The restaurant is pricey, but convenient if you are staying at the hotel. We didn't see many other breakfast options in the area, so we chose that.

All in all, we had a very good stay at the Hilton Mystic. If I was returning to Mystic we would definitely stay there. The only problem is that Mystic doesn't really offer enough attractions to make repeat trips very often.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank mrg013

Reviewed July 18, 2006

July 15th, 2005 (room 123)
This stop was a 4th stop on a family journey from the Midwest to Boston and NYC. I used Hilton points to pay for this room. It was a 2 queen bed room with plenty of space. With 3 kids, we were happy we could all 5 fit in the room comfortably. The roll-away bed seemed of better quality than most hotel beds we stayed in.

Although the beds were supposed to be queens, they seemed closer to twin size. However, they were very comfortable with nice linens.

Location is convenient to Mystic Seaport. Traveling with kids, we did better ordering from Dominos across the street for dinner and McDonalds for breakfast as opposed to the pricey restaurant food they have at the hotel.

Overall, the facility was very nice. I would not typically stayed at this nice of a hotel with the kids (maybe with just my wife for a weekend excursion), but the free night turned out to be a treat for us. Instead of using the pool, the kids opted to have us take them to Fowoods resort/casino (20 minutes drive). They have seen the advertisements when they watch the RedSox play on the satellite. Although the kids enjoyed the arcade, the video poker gods did not rain good fortune upon me!

Overall, the hotel seemed clean and well maintained. Business center looked good, but there was a charge to use computer and printer.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank RX4U
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for one night in July. We were quite disappointed in the hotel. The toilet in our room was broken and would continue to run after you flushed it. We notified the front desk about the problem and they said that the hotel was completely full (so we couldn't be moved) and maintainance would only be available during the day. (It was 7pm when we told them about the toilet.) They agreed to take $20 off the bill so we were mollified by this. The AC in the room was rather loud for us and made chugging noises throughout the night. There were some good things to say about the room. The beds were super comfortable and the shower worked great. The room was immaculate when we checked in.

There is a pool, which we did not use but was quite busy when I looked. The fitness room, however, was a joke. There were three machines - one bike and two treadmilles and that was it! I expect more from a Hilton.

Finally, we opted for buffet breakfast in the hotel and this had problems as well. First, the server kept forgetting to bring us what we had asked for (water, ketchup, etc) and we had to ask again. The omelettes that we ordered with the buffet had very little filling in them but plenty of egg (too much egg really). You order the omelettes with the server and they are made out back, so you can not see them being made.

This place is really nothing special and I would not return unless the price was cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank ChinaShrek
Reviewed June 30, 2006

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank Erikadoo
Reviewed June 1, 2006

I was here in the beginning of May for work. I really liked this hotel. Remodeled rooms were great and quite comfortable. Close to food and shopping across the street. Rooms have wireless internet. This is one of the better Hiltons I have stayed at. Got a good business rate. I was commuting to work in Groton, which took about 5 minutes to the base.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank cheedog
Reviewed February 21, 2006

The room that I stayed in was recently remodeled. It was nicely done and very comfortable. I wanted a smoking room, but because of the renovations, none were available. This was a problem in that there is no smoking in public areas in CT. (I actually went to Foxwoods so that I could smoke a cigar instead of sitting outside. That proved costly.) The restaurant were a little pricey but the food was of good quality. The room rates were relatively inexpensive, but once the tourist season hits, the prices will skyrocket. The use of the business center was suspended due to renovations too. The staff was very accomodating and faxed some documents for me free of charge.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business