“Our favorite place in Mystic!”

Margaritas Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 103 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We love going to Margaritas for dinners. It has a great atmosphere for dates (good lighting and cozy seating) and hanging out with friends (they move tables for large groups).

We love:
the view from the third floor in the winter (you can see downtown)
warm chips and salsa (not served during lunch)
variety of the menu
being able to share an entree with no hassle
second floor is very kid friendly

Things we don't love:
third floor gets busy on game nights (you will wait for food)
parking - you either pay to park in the downtown lot or cross your fingers for street parking

1  Thank topherbw

Reviewed November 27, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a quiet place for dinner when we decided to try Tio Juan's Margaritas. We ate on the first floor and ordered their Nachos, Shrimp and Avacado salad, and steak fajitas. The atmosphere was festive but not overbearing. The food itself was not anything spectacular. It was comparable to other American chains. The waitress seemed friendly but she was hard to find for refills. The restaurant was not full so we were puzzled as to why she would often disappear from sight. We were satisfied with the overall experience until the middle of the night. My husband and I likely got food poisoining from the nachos since it was the only dish we both shared. We alternated between suffering from bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. As I write this, we're having to extend our stay in Mystic because we are too ill to drive this morning. I would not go to this place again!

1  Thank TrishBee
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Ok facts first. The party size I was with was 6 people. Now unless your new to dining out , like most places parties of that size get charged automatically 18% tip on the bill. Now Service , where do I start , our waitress must have been more than aware of her tip being included automatically because we really hardly saw her at all. We were ther for 2 hours and had 2 drinks. Normally we have many more than that!!! The food was sub par at best, we got the chimichanga's they were ok , we have had better, and we all got what looked like a mexican pizza, it was pretty average. We did finally get the waitress as she was serving all the tables around us, This visit was on a Saturday night and the place was not even at half capacity. So the bill came and her $40 tip was included, although I would have rather given her $1.00 because of her horrid service. It was unfortunate because we won't go back anytime soon, and they really had the oppurtunity to make alot more money had the waitress done her job.

Reviewed August 11, 2008

After walking back and forth through Mystic, my husband and I decided to give Margaritas a try for my birthday dinner. I wanted a fun atmosphere with good drinks and good food. I got both!

The Russelrita is a combo of rasberry and strawberry in a frozen margarita. It was sooooooo good! I couldn't even finish my second one with all the food! The salsa is good - different than I've had elsewhere with a bit of a sweet and spicy kick to it. The guacamole was excellent - fresh and a bit creamy, but really good (the tostadas(?) that came with it were stale, so I just asked for more chips (that came with the salsa) - no problem. Our waiter, Dan, was very accomodating. The vibe is young and fresh.

For our main course, we had the Island Jerk Chicken Fajita, which came with more than the usual onions and peppers, it also had zucchini and summer squash. Odd you may say, but considering those are the veggies of the season, I thought it was a nice touch! My husband had the Terriyaki(?) Chicken with Pineapple Salsa. The pineapple salsa was great. Chicken was tender. Jerk seasoning was slightly on the weak side, but it was nice to have a different kind of fajita for once!

Overall, we really felt the food was fresh and good. It was a good meal all around and would definitely recommend it.

1  Thank Jenn B
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Our party of four arrived at 8:15 pm on Wednesday, made our way up to the 3rd floor bar area because the 2nd floor was full, slowly ordered, and then the wait began, tick tock tick tock. We should have known something was odd, in that our waitress NEVER made an appearance to check our drinks. At 9:00, we asked for our drinks check, telling the waitress (after going to find her) we were leaving. Naturally, the food arrived that very moment (how DOES that happen?!).

We had grilled vegetables taco salad, cheese & onion enchiladas, and fajitas. The food was good. We were tourists in town from Texas, where we KNOW (we believe) Mexican food. We were not disappointed in the flavor of the food. The salsa served with the chips was also good, with a nice warm kick.

I would simply warn others to be aware of your waitperson's whereabouts and keep an eye on your watch. The good news for us is the Manager picked up our entire check for our trouble. I did not notice any other tables in distress, so perhaps our ticket was lost for a time?

1  Thank flutemother