“Annual favorite to visit!”

B.F. Clyde's Cider Mill
Ranked #4 of 11 Tours in Mystic
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is the oldest working Cider Mill in the US and area. It is fun to watch the apple press process done mid-days on the weekends. the cider is fresh and tastes great. The apple donuts are fantastic too! Kettle corn is offered on the weekends. We go at least once each fall.

1  Thank Stephen H

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We visited on a weekday in the fall and didn’t find it to be very crowded. The downside to visiting on a weekday is that the mill only runs on weekends, so we didn’t get to see it in action. I understand the need to make only as much cider as they expect to sell, and it makes sense to do it when the most people are there to see it. I’d like to go back and see it on the weekend some time, but what I’ve read and heard about the crowds does make it sound unappealing. It was interesting to get to see it, though. Built in 1898, it is the oldest steam-powered cider mill in the country and is worth seeing from a historical and mechanical point of view. We visited the little shop and bought some cider and apple wine. We also bought some doughnuts, turnovers, and warm cider to have right away. For items other than their own products, I’d suggest shopping around. I found their prices to be higher than at other places in the area, including other touristy places. The shop is small and the shelves are close together, so I wouldn’t want to be in there on a busy day.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The grounds here are very nice to visit as they are nestled in the woods on a scenic roadway making it fun to visit this time of year. The main house, where the cider and desserts are sold, is quite tight and can get crowded on weekends but offers a decent selection of made on premises goods. The staff of young women weren't too friendly and kind of just go about their business so that welcome feeling is not there as felt on other farms and orchards. During our visit the Cider Mill was closed for "cleaning" so there went that experience. In addition, the Grist Mill had just closed too. Hmmm, this is on an Autumn weekend at 1pm, pretty odd. We sat on some benches by the front entrance and enjoyed our apple cider donuts nonetheless. Glad we saw this place but probably won't return. This place has so much potential if the staff was friendlier and the timing of the Mills closing was better managed. Hope the ownership looks into this as numerous people were upset and left confused.

1  Thank LVLN
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Living in the surrounding area, I make a point to go to Clyde's a few times each Fall because I absolutely love their cider, pumpkin bread and donuts.

Going during the week is certainly preferable as it's an absolute mob scene on the weekends! Parking is limited and I have seen people getting ticketed if they park along the road.

It's really fine to go if you've been there before and know exactly what you want...the employees certainly like to usher you in and out as quickly as possible.

The cider mill has certainly changed from when I would visit as a child; they've become increasingly popular over the years and have lost their small town charm that was so important to them.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

hanks to my mom we were told to visit this old cider mill and we were so happy we visited! The lines were off the charts and my only suggestion is to have a longer "bar" for the visitors to do their tastings of hard cider and wines. Everyone that tasted spent alot of money on bottles or gallons so I think it would be worth their while to invest in a larger more comfortable area to taste with more people with PERSONALITY serving them. My biggest gripe about any tastings.. is PERSONALITY of the server. We didn't even go inside because the line was to long so it's a great find but they could probaly triple their profits if they had this all set up correctly. Otherwise I LOVED the taste of each product and my favorite was the BLACKOUT... We will be back to visit the inside one day!