“Just love this place!”

Marblehead, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Just love this place!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is what I loves about "Clyde's:"
- the steam powered apple press (like a little bit of the Seaport off on it's own),
-families watching the apples being pressed,
- eating donuts at the picnic tables under the blue sky & leaves that are changing colors,
-going around to the backdoor in the cellar to buy, what feels like "moonshine," hooch, the real stuff - hard cider
- exploring the yummy fall treats in the store

It feels like New England the way it is supposed to be.

1 Thank Helen W

NYC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New England at its finest”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Clyde's cider mill was incredibly interesting. And a piece of living history. A true New England experience... the oldest steam powered cider mill in the U.S. they claim! Note: apparently before water was potable in the U.S., everyone drank apple cider! A small building at Clyde's houses a steam powered engine to run the cider press. I spoke to one of the women who was running the press - it was her great grandfathers business and she was passionate about the mill and happy to answer all of my questions. See the apples being pressed into cider and then sample some delicious cider, hard cider and cider wine. And some old fashioned donuts (though I wish the donuts were still piping hot like Back-Door Donuts in Martha's Vineyard!) Most people wait in line for the store to get jugs of the delicious cider (filled fresh on the spot) or to sample the cider slushie. Note: I did notice a lot of corn syrup in many of their packaged products they sell in the general store, which saddens me. But, to their credit, they provide a local Stonington cattle farm with their leftover apple mash as feed - talk about environmental sustainability at its finest! Embracing American tradition while supporting other local and sustainable business: it's people like the hardworking team at Clyde's who make New England so wonderful.

Jacksonville, Florida
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“come on the weekends when they have tastings”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My first experience here was awesome. Free tastings of all their ciders, and if you are there at the right time you can watch the process of it being made, or at least the apples being crushed. My second trip here, not so great. Their website does NOT say that they only have tastings on the weekends! So when I showed up during the week (my days off) I was extremely disappointed! They have quite a few ciders to choose from, but having not tasted them in some time I didn't remember which I liked. I bought 3 random types, and they turned out to be not so great and one was actually disgusting. They do have one spiced cider that you can drink warmed up and it is really good, but they were also sold out when I arrived! So I would just suggest calling ahead to get information before going. They also sell other items in their shop such as jams and apple butters, etc. Overall, it's a great place. Besides, do you know of any other cider mills? I don't.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Wished for more”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stopped by the Cider Mill, but missed the apple pressing by minutes. The workers were very nice and explained the process to us even though they were on break. We will call before hand and find out when they will be pressing for the next time. We went into the shop to buy cider (all the baked goods and cider smelled amazing), but those working behind the counter were rather unaccommodating and a tad rude. The cider was great, however.

Norfolk, Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Hard Cider”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Clyde's Cider Mill makes an interesting stop on our trip from VA to Cape Cod each September. The old Mill Equipment is very interesting. We try to visit during the week as the weekend has very long lines. We enjoy their Hard Cider, Blackout and Good-Fella Ciders. On our last trip, we purchased some Good-Fella Cider in their plastic half-gallon container, which was undrinkable. We haven't tried this year's Good-Fella in the glass bottle yet, we hope it's good like last year's. We agree with the comment about restroom facilities would be helpful rather than a single porta-potty.