“excellent Apps. & Fun & Burgers too ”
Review of Engine Room

Engine Room
Ranked #9 of 99 Restaurants in Mystic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the beautifully restored Lathrop Marine Engine building with views of the Mystic River, we feature sixteen craft beers on tap, the area's largest bourbon selection, craft cocktails, a full wine list and a menu of locally sourced, creative American comfort food, with a focus on America's most beloved dish, the burger. Welcome to the table.
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“excellent Apps. & Fun & Burgers too ”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Stopped on the way back of a business trip. Was going to eat at S & P Oyster but they had a 45 minute wait on a July Tuesday evening. Saw Engine room on the way back to the car.
Sat at the "Chefs bar" and watched them work. The apps. were outstanding, both the fried oysters and the hush puppies. The burgers were not huge but excellent with a dynamite crust. I'm not after quantity but quality. Fries were crispy intentionally not "overdone" as suggested in other reviews
Nice place casual but food and drink aware. If you want giant burgers with standard fries this isn't the place for you. If you want exciting, freshly cooked, interesting food this is the place

Moncton, Canada
“Great atmosphere, great food”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We had a great meal here at the engine room. The burgers are really excellent. I had the mushroom burger and it was loaded with mushrooms. The beer selection is great too, if you're more into trying different kind of beers. Awesome place!

Visited July 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“A good meal, we preferred the Mystic Oyster Club (sister rest.)”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Went with my husband the other day for lunch having gone to the Oyster club in the spring. We had the chowder (which was amazing) and the avocado app. The drinks were good, I had a cocktail and he had beer. We both had burgers, I would say there were average. I think Plan B does a better burger than here unfortunately I wanted to love it but it was nothing to write home about. We did love Oyster club and will return there again.

• Visited July 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Cool Place, Decent Food”
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

The Engine Room is a really sharp reuse of a historic building in the heart of Mystic. The interior is very polished - modern, and full of really great touches (like the lighting), while being very cognizant of the original building and all of its character. Even the front patio, with it's dozen (or so) dining tables, lounge area and glimpses of the water, is a really hip, yet comfortable place to hang out on nice summer evenings.

I wish I could be so thrilled with the food. Don't get me wrong - it was pretty good. We kept it casual and did sandwiches - lightly breaded catch of the day (with the fries) and slow-cooked bbq brisket (with potato salad). The flavors were decent, and fish / meat were done correctly. But, the food was served cool, and the fries (which were hyped in other reviews) were over-cooked. Preparation also took quite some time, far surpassing the short duration we needed to gobble the bacon-caramel popcorn appetizer (which was as good as it sounds).

My wife's cocktail was well-prepared and very tasty, while my draft - one of many they offered - was cold and delicious.

Overall, The Engine Room was a nice dining experience, especially considering the look and atmosphere of the place (which is deserving of 5 circles). It certainly seems to be one of Mystic's places to "see and be seen". But, food flavors, preparation and timing - pretty much a 3 circle experience - could use a little tune up, to make it an all-around great dining spot.

Tampa, Florida
“Meh....”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The menu is limited and basically burgers. The burgers are good, but very small (almost a slider) and not at all what one is looking for when you want a BURGER. The atmosphere is interesting but the place is usually loud and overcrowded. As a restaurant, I give it a thumbs down. As a bar, it seems a good beer place if you like loud crowds. I have eaten there 3 times, and I think I will give up as the food is only "meh..."

• Visited July 2014